Chapter 2 - Everyone

RINA

I stand on the scale and read the number. One hundred and fourteen pounds. That’s too much. I want to lose those fourteen pounds and weigh an even hundred. If I ever want to model, I need to lose weight. I’ll start getting call backs soon. I can’t fuck this up. No one wants a fat model. No one wants to look at a girl on a magazine whose stomach isn’t completely flat.

I want to be and feel beautiful. But I can’t do that until I lose this weight. I don’t know how or why, but I gained eight pounds. I step off of the scale and go in my room to get dressed.

Mom is downstairs drinking her morning tea when I’m finally ready. She’ll probably expect me to eat something before school. I pour a glass of water. It’ll hold me for a while. 

“Are you going to eat, Rina?” she asks, typing on her iPad. 

I shake my head. “I’m gonna get breakfast with Matt and Tori.”

“Okay,” she says, handing me a twenty dollar bill. “I might have to work late tonight. I’ll call you on my break.” She takes the last sip of her tea before she puts the cup in the sink. “There’s leftover spaghetti from last night that you can heat up later.”

I nod even though I probably own’t eat it. Spaghetti is unhealthy. It’s full of carbs from the noodles and it’s fatty and oily from the meat. The mere thought of eating it makes me sick.

I leave the kitchen and go upstairs to get my bag. I put my canvas bag on my back and slide into my Keds. After checking my appearance in the mirror, I decide that I look pretty today. My floral print dress is perfect for the first day of class. I add a quick layer of pale pink lipstick to my lips and pop them.

I smile, satisfied. Then I pick up my phone and call Tori. 

“Hello?” she answers.

“Hey,” I say. “I’m gonna walk to school today. You and Matt don’t have to pick me up.”

“You sure?” she asks. “You walk really slow.”

“I’ll be fine,” I insist. “I’ll see you in twenty.”

“Okay,” she agrees before the line goes dead.

I say good-bye to my mother and head outside. The Paloma Beach air smells salty since the beach isn’t very far. It’s a little humid and I hope that my hair won’t frizz too badly.

TORI

Matt pulls in front of my house. He smiles at me as I hurry toward the car. I get in and plant a quick kiss on his lips. “Good morning,” I say.

“Morning,” he replies, pulling off. “How was your weekend?”

“It was boring without you,” I say. “We had to take Amanda shopping for school. She’s a little brat.”

Matt glances over at me. “Be nice to her.”

I roll my eyes and turn up the radio. “Try living in the same house as her.”

“Shut up,” he tells me. “I wish I wasn’t an only child.”

“What band is this?” I ask. “It sounds really familiar.”

“It’s a new band that just popped up. They went to Warped Tour over the summer. They’re called Misfit Parade.”

“I like it,” I say, turning it up louder and bopping my head to the beat. Matt chuckles. “What’d you do this weekend?”