Chapter 8 - The Girls

CLARE

I take my seat in my last period class, sociology. My teacher, Miss Torres sits on her desk once the bell rings.

"Good afternoon," she begins. "For your first project, I've decided that I'm going to have you guys break some norms, in pairs of twos and threes. We spoke about norms earlier this week and can someone tell me, again, what a norm is?"

I raise my hand and she nods at me. "A norm is something that's seen as normal way to behave."

Miss Torres smiles. "Good." She picks up a piece of paper sitting beside her. "I have your groups already picked out. I really want you to work with people you've never worked with before and step out of your comfort zone. In college, you'll have to do it often, depending on the major you choose."

There are a bunch of groans coming from the back of the classroom. Cam turns around in his seat, giving me a puppy-dog face. "Aw, doesn't look like we'll be working together . . ."

"Cam, you'll be working with Alyssa and Devin. In your social experiment, you will see how the public reacts to a disabled person."

"Clare and Drea, you'll be pairing up. In your social experiment, you will see how the public reacts to a same-sex relationship."

"Asher and Ariana, I'd like you to do a social experiment and talk to strangers."

"Daren, Ashleigh, and Gabe, you'll be reading out loud in public places, like the library, bookstore, park, et cetera."

I look over at Drea. She's wearing a snapback and her hair is curly today. She's so pretty. I honestly don't think I've ever looked at a girl this way, but I'd talk to her if she wanted to talk to me . . . in that way.

Once my teacher is done calling out names, she says to get in our groups to brainstorm and discuss, adding to get each other's contact information and that we should try to get started as soon as possible, preferably over the weekend. Drea smiles and replaces Cam, who goes to find Alyssa and Devin.

"Hey," she says. "I'm Drea."

I return her smile. "Clare."

"You know I like girls, right?" she asks. I nod slowly. "I just . . . don't want it to be weird or anything since we have to pretend to be a couple in public."

I shake my head. "It's fine. It's only weird if you make it weird. It's not like I'm a homophobe or anything."

"You'd be surprised . . ."

"Well, I'm not that kinda girl."

"Good."

Cam's lips crash into mine as soon as we step through my bedroom door. We've got the house to ourselves and it's not like we have to start any homework at this moment. We drop our bags in the corner and Cam is already kissing on my neck.

"Cam," I gasp. He stops what he's doing and looks at me seriously before he gently places me on the bed so that I'm lying on my back. Then Cam pulls my panties down, taking me by surprise. "What are you . . . doing?"

He rolls his eyes. "What does it look like I'm doing?"

"Um," I say, "it looks like you're about to do something to me down there."

He chuckles. "Exactly." His voice lowers as he gets down on his knees and grabs me by my thighs, pulling me close to him. "So just relax and let me take care of you."