Playing Dress-up with Boys

I arrived at my house at about 9 pm on my birthday night.  As I pulled in the driveway, I noticed the house was dark.  I'd left Mick there with her friend Brogan with a promise from them that they would stay put.  A wave of worry mixed with irritation came over me as I walked toward the front door.  I put my key in the lock and opened the door slowly.  Just then the lights came on and I was greeted with "SURPRISE!" from a small crowd in my living room. The group broke in to the "Happy Birthday" song as I blushed. 

"Y'all!" I said excitedly, "I totally didn't expect this!"

Mick came up to hug me and said "well momma, you had to work on your birthday, so we thought we'd throw you a little party!"

"Thank you kitten, I love it!"  I replied.  "Wait till you hear who I met with" I whispered in her ear.

"Who?!" She begged. 

"Later baby" I replied. 

I mingled with my friends, ate some cake and had a second glass of wine.   The party soon wound down and I showed the last guest out.

"Ok, mom, who's the big mystery client?" Mick asked sarcastically.

Mick wasn't always impressed with my "old twanger" clients. 

"Well, it's a band," I teased, "and you happen to be a fan."

"Oh my God mom, tell me!"

"I'll tell you what.  They gave me a copy of their new album.  Let me play it and see if you can guess."

I went to my car and retrieved the CD.  Mick and I went to my office to put the CD into the drive on my laptop.  The CD started up with a wrrr. 

"Thinking bout you lots lately" blared from the tiny computer speaker, "have you been eating breakfast alone like me."

Mick screamed "NO FUCKING WAY MOM!"

"Michaela!  Language!"

"Sorry!  That's 5-sauce!"

"Yep.  You're good kid"

"Wait. You're going to dress 5 Seconds of freaking Summer!?"

"I hope so.  I have to send sketches.  They were really nice guys who want a new image."

"They were THERE!? At dinner!? With you!?"

"Yes" I said wondering why she'd think they wouldn't be. 

"I think I'm going to faint mom.  I've got to call Brogan. And everyone else I know!  They've GOT to hear this CD!"

"No, honey, you can't do that.  Nobody can hear the CD.  I don't even have the job yet.  And they were very clear that songs couldn't be leaked. Sorry baby.  This stays between us."

Mick pouted through her excitement and went off to bed.  I sat at my drafting table and tried to get inspired.  To no avail. 

I moved to my computer and Googled "5SOS Images".  There were all sorts of images.  Some of very young guys with baby faces but no tattoos.  Some of older guys with girlfriends.  It was kind of like looking at a mom's scrapbook of her son.  I went to You Tube and watched few videos just to get a feel for the vibe of the band. 

I returned to my drafting table where I sat with my eyes closed for a few minutes.  Then, images of Michael Hutchence from INXS and Jim Morrison from The Doors popped in my head almost simultaneously.  

"That's what they need!" I thought.  "A classic rock star look mixed with an 80s new wave vibe."

I started sketching the band as a whole on stage in their new look.  They looked cool but too "put together".  Too "matchy-matchy".