n i n e

fall in love with people's passion. the way their eyes light up when they talk about the thing they love and the way they fill with light.

recap of chapter eight: everett recommends that carson and eilish spend some time together, claiming that the experiment cannot carry on if the two still can't get along with each other.

N I N E

P A S S I O N

His voice resonates through my head, over and over like a broken record

His voice resonates through my head, over and over like a broken record. He is playing this game of 'What question will Eilish hate the most?'. The goal is to make me as annoyed as I can get, until I do the unthinkable to him.

"Do you know about NASA? I think I wanna be an astronaut someday. But then again, there's that story of the dog or the monkey. . .the one who was left in outer space of something; the poor thing. What's your favorite animal?"

Dead air. I ignore him, trapping my eyes against the path above.

"Eilish,"

"Eilishhh,"

"Eilissssh!"

"What?!" I snap, breaking a millisecond of eye contact from the road in order to look at him.

"What's your favorite animal?" he asks again. I roll my eyes, sighing at what seems to be his low IQ.

The building we stop at is tall and lean, and I feel so immensely small when I try to look up. It brings out an edge of anxiety and fear, but also triggers a churn of excitement, an indescribable hunger for the unknown. Carson takes this as an oppurtunity to tap my shoulder, after assessing the shrubbery of leaves, trees, and other buildings just as intimidating as this one.

"Where are we, exactly?" he asks. I shoot him a look of disapproval, mainly because I'm disappointed that he has no idea about where we are. I forget who I'm talking to and who I'm with, but I immediately regain composure.