f o u r t e e n

"if it's right, it happens --
the main thing is not to hurry. nothing good
gets away." - john steinbeck

recap of chapter thirteen: everett doesn't arrive. eilish copes with new feelings, carson shows talent for drawing, and eilish's uncle calls up saying 'come quick'.

 eilish copes with new feelings, carson shows talent for drawing, and eilish's uncle calls up saying 'come quick'

F O U R T E E N

H O S P I T A L

THE LINGERING AGITATION IS OMNIPRESENT

THE LINGERING AGITATION IS OMNIPRESENT. I feel like there is a bubble in my chest that expands more by the second, threatening to break me apart from the inside.

"Give me your keys!" I throw it as the clang of metal roars the engine to life. Carson steps on the wheel before the flood of panic, my helpless urge to cry.

"It's going to be okay," He says softly, "Don't worry about it."

Bile rises in my throat. "It's not that easy, Carson!"

The piercing jab of my voice cuts through his gentle comforts, and I instantly regret doing it. He takes my silence as an apology so we stay like that for long.

But there's never a dull moment with him. Not even when you're on the verge of sorrow, I think.

"I'm scared. . . don't know why. I don't overthink hospital issues, but now I feel afraid of losing people I love, even if that list of people isn't remarkably plenty," I whisper. Carson smiles sadly from the corner of my eyes.

"Don't be. It isn't worth it. Putting yourself in a state of panic in exchange for optimisim? It won't make things any better," I suck in a breath because he's right. Carson weighs the choice of words before letting it out slowly.

"You being happy or being sad doesn't change anything, I guess. But if you're going to he happy most of the time, doesn't that make life more beautiful?" I look at him in spite of the darkness now, and under the gleam of light he looks more mysterious, older and mature.