Three

There seems to be a lot more people at headcount today. Everyone is squished together and can't sit because of the lack of tables. Jason isn't here. I feel quite lost without him. The drones fly over our heads and we get our schedules as usual. I don't bother looking at mine. No breakfast was passed out today either. It's all very strange. 

When the three bells ring, everyone starts to move in the same direction. I wonder where they're all going, and from the corner of my eye I see something out of the ordinary. Someone in a dark cloak and bright blue hair looks around frantically, then walks the opposite direction from everyone else. I narrow my eyes and look around me. The crowd of people that was gathered in the town square has completely vanished. I turn back around to the figure and catch a glimpse of that vibrantly coloured hair disappear behind the corner of a building. Against my better will, I decide to follow them.

I walk speedily across the empty space and slip behind the building. The person is walking with purpose, so I do the same at a safe distance. They jump behind another corner, and I speed up. I poke my head around the building, slowly scanning the area before me. I've found myself looking at a dark, dirty alleyway with old colourful posters peeling off the walls. Rubbish is strewn everywhere although there is a dumpster to the side of me. And that's when I notice a small flap, right next to the dumpster. I move it to the side, peer in and suddenly I'm pulled to the ground and behind the dumpster.

I open my mouth to yell for help, but a hand is pressed over it, while another one has my own arms pinned to my stomach. The person's hands are cold and have a metal-like texture to them.

"Shh!" They whisper, "Don't make me do something I'll regret!" I stop trying to scream and squeeze my eyes shut. Why did I stumble into this mess? I'm going to die, aren't I?

"If you do anything stupid, you will." They say. I almost jump out of my skin. They can hear what I'm thinking?

"Yes, everyone can here. Pipe down and follow me." Their hands slowly release their grip on me. I turn myself around so that I'm looking at the person who grabbed me. Their brown eyes pierce my mind like a needle through fabric and their short blue hair glitters in the light that shines onto it. Their skin isn't human-like at all. There are large cracks all over their face and neck. It's not a normal colour either. In fact, it looks like metal, just like how their hands felt. On the left side of their neck I see a small tattoo of 4 numbers.

I let out a small gasp. They're a rogue android.

They give me a strong look, then turn and crawl forwards. Before I know it, half of their body is through the wall behind the dumpster. I watch as she slips through the bricks as if they were jelly. I sit there, dumbstruck, until a hand reaches out and yanks me through the wall too.

Immediately the scenery around me changes. I'm now lying on my stomach in a shiny room of mirrors. I find at least 20 different reflections of myself in different mirrors.

I look around for a long time, trying to figure out where I should go, when I see the blue hair flash across a few mirrors. I get up to follow it and end up walking through a mirror. Now, I'm in a dusty room that reminds me of a basement. There are many androids with different coloured hair standing in a circle on the outskirts of the room, staring at me. I turn to go back through the mirror, but it's gone. I turn again, and the blue-haired android is standing in front of me, her eyes wide. 

"Do you know of life outside of the city?" She asks.

"I- well... I do know of a few people, but I do believe there could be more people, possibly a whole colony." I answer.

"Do you wish to learn more of the outside world?" She asks, her face unchanged.

"Yes, my god I do. I would give anything to be able to experience the life they do, if they really do exist." I answer.