Bruised Knuckles

October 28, 1967

Bucky's POV

  I felt the cold air pass through. Summer was gone, it had came and left. I didn't know how I felt about summer, there was this odd freedom I think we believed he had. Like we were able to do anything we wanted to do and nobody could stop us. It was odd to think that, to believe we had that freedom.

   But anyway I was waiting till baseball season was going to start again. But that wouldn't be till next year, the major league season was already ending. St. Louis had won this season against Boston, playing all seven games. I really loved baseball, it was at the top of my list for things I loved. I don't really know why I fell in with game, but I remember when I was younger my dad and I would sit down and listen to the radio. We would hear Vin Scully's voice through the radio, even after they left to Los Angeles. I loved when my dad I just sat with each other. I miss those days.

   As I walked passed an alley I heard something crash into the trash cans. I looked over and seen a tall guy hovering over someone. I know this was none of my business who am I to get involved? But I just hated when people were rude with one another or started fights. I mean sometimes a fight needed to happen to defend yourself or somebody else but some people just started them because they liked it. What the hell was that about? I don't know I just really hated that.

   "You don't ever give up do you?" a voice said.

   "I can do this all day." another guy said.

   That voice I knew that voice. I peered over and put that voice to the person it belonged too. Steve. Before I could react he was pushed into the trash cans again.

   "Hey!" I yelled.

   The guy turned to me, almost with a sly smile. His fist came at me but I moved out the way and punched him back. He threw another punch and got me on that one. I hit him again and then kicked his ass out of the alley, he ran down the block flipping me the bird.

   "Shit."

  "What the hell happened?" I asked.

  I turned back to steve who was forcing himself up. I forgot about the stinging on my face and went to help him up. His knuckles were dark red, he held onto his side with his left hand. He tried getting up but fell back down.

  "I got you." I said.

   I wrapped my arm around his waist and pulled him up. He pushed me away and leaned on the wall. His eyes were closed.

Steve's POV

   Bucky rushed to my aid, he wrapped his arm around my waist and hoisted me up. A minute ago he seemed mad as hell now, his face was unreadable. Damn. I mean he kept a straight face but his eyes, goddam apologetic eyes. I couldn't get them out of my head.  What was with this guy?! I couldn't catch a break with him we seemed to have been bumping into each other all the time.

   His arm was still around my waist, I don't think he really noticed. I pushed him away and closed my eyes.

  "I don't need your help."

Bucky's POV

   "You won't get that far on your own. Look I can get you cleaned up and you can be on your way." I argued.