Part II

“Why are you packing babe?” Devon asked waking up.

“I’m going to New York and I don’t know how long I’ll be staying,” I said.

“Are you telling Corey and Shawn?” he asked.

“Yup, that’s the plan.”

“You’re packing for me too then, right?”

“Yup.”

“When are we leaving,” he asked,

“Now,” I said zipping the suitcase and heading towards the door. Devon put on clothes and then got in that driver's seat and drove us to New York. When we arrived I told him that I needed to tell them before he could meet them so we checked in to a hotel and got him settled before getting on the subway. Corey’s stop was first so I got off there and got buzzed in. I got to there door and Auggie threw it open before I could knock.

“Auntie Jess!”

“Mister Auggie!” I said and gave him a hug. I ruffled his hair as Corey came around the corner and looked up from his phone and gave me a side smile.

“What brings my baby sister to my home,” Corey asked.

“Nice to see you too Cor. Yeah, I've been great,” I said annoyed.

“Stop that, you know I love you. What on your mind Jessica?” he said sitting at their kitchen table and motioning for me to sit with him.

As I sat down I let my left hand be on the table to see if he would notice my ring. Then, he didn't. I sighed and began.

“I met someone,” I said.

“I'm really happy for you, Jess. What's his name?” he asked.

“Devon Short, we met in college. We are living together now,” I told him and I saw something click in his brain.

“Now I know mom and dad would not have let you live with a boy if you weren't engaged or married. So, which is it.”

“Engaged.”

“How long?”

“4 months,” I said.

Corey leaned back in his chair and sighed. Hurt and defeat evident in his face.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” he asked.

“I was scared to be left out again,” I said tears forming.

“Left out? Jessica, what could you possibly mean by that?”

“Devon is Shawn's half-brother. Shawn's mom had him from a different marriage. And I knew if I told you that I would get pushed to the back burner while you and Shawn praised him. Just like you did every day of my life,” I spoke honestly.

There was a brief silence in the room.

“Is that really what you think of me?” he said softly.

“Who could I not? My whole childhood you were so concerned about Morgan feeling left out that you left me out altogether. I had no reason not to believe that this would be any different,” I said.

“I didn’t know you felt this way, Jessica,” he said tears in his eyes.

“You would've if you asked,” I said just loud enough for him to hear.

There was silence again. It went for longer this time. Finally, Corey spoke.

“I'm not sure what to say here, Jess. I- I just don't know,” he said.

I stood from my chair looking at the ground.

“The wedding is September 30th. I'll mail your invitation once I get home,” I said. My eyes never left the ground as I walked out of my brother's apartment. I opened the door then Corey spoke again.

“I'm sorry Jessica.”

I didn't turn around. I couldn't turn around. I just walked through the door and closed it behind me.