08

By the time they put all their instruments away and got out of the recording studio, it was already six pm. Although they did agree that the day was well spent. Noodle headed for the kitchen and Russel followed her.

"It's my turn to make dinner tonight!" She shouted. Noodle thought she was a pretty decent cook but the truth is that she can't make anything without making a big mess in the kitchen. Of course, Russel didn't even trust her around a microwave so everytime Noodle would try and cook or bake something, he had to supervise.

"Great! What's on the menu?" Ace asked taking his jacket off and hanging it on the coatrack.

"Beef Stew!" She looked around and met 2D's gaze and started cracking up. "Get it? Stew, Stu?"

"That's really funny Noodle." 2D rolled his eyes and smiled. Russel and Noodle disappeared into the kitchen a few seconds after. Ace and 2D could already hear the pots and pans falling off the shelves. The two laughed and an awkward silence soon followed. Thoughts came rushing into 2D's head as he was trying to think of something he and Ace could do to pass the time. He looked out a nearby window and it wasn't that dark outside. Hey mustered up his courage and tapped Ace's shoulder.

"So, I was thinking. If you're not doing anything right now, maybe we could go outside and relax for a bit, you know talk and stuff..." 2D looked at his untied shoelaces and put his hands in his back pockets.

Ace smiled. "Of course, that'd be awesome." The two stepped onto the patio in the backyard and sat down on one of the patio chairs near the pool, but Aced pulled his chair back a little because of his Aquaphobia. The setting sun gave the sky an orange and pink tint. It looked beautiful. 2D shuffled through his pockets before pulling out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter. He took one out and handed the pack to Ace.

"Smoke?" He asked him.

"Oh, no, not for me," Ace shook his head and smiled. "I can't really smoke."

"Why is that?"

"It's the acting whole acting thing, I can't smoke because they think that it wouldn't be a good influence on the kids. Even now that I'm not acting anymore, I still can't light a cigarette. That's where signing all of those contracts got me." Ace chuckled. He put his feet on the little table in front of them.

"Oh, I'm sorry about that." 2D inhaled some smoke and puffed it out of his mouth. Ace found that pretty impressive. 2D scratched the few mustache hairs he had and looked at Ace who was playing with his switchblade.

"I barely know anything about you," He told him.

"Same here," Ace chuckled. 2D felt a sudden wave of confidence roll over him.

"Well, what would you like to know Copular?" He purred. He met the other's eyes and put his hand on his cheek. Ace could feel and hear his heart beating faster and faster. he didn't know what to say. He probably looked like a coward.

"Okay, If we're going to play that game then, can I ask you anything?" Ace asked.

"As long as I get to ask you something in return," 2D answered. Ace thought about it for a while.

"Deal," He shook the singer's hand. 2D smiled at him.

"So what do you want to ask me first?" Ace thought about something to ask for a few seconds.

"Okay, so I'm going to start off basic, What do you do in your free time?"

2D put a finger on his chin and hummed. "I do lots of thing in my free time but one thing I always do when I have the chance is to paint my nails. I don't do it because it makes me look pretty or anything, which it doubt it does. I do it because it's relaxing. it's kinda like coloring but like with a brush. So painting I guess."

"That's really nice to know. Okay, your turn to ask me something."

"What's one of your biggest fears?" 2D asked, taking a whiff of his cigarette smoke. Although he was ashamed of admitting it, he answered 2D anyway. Ace didn't think 2D was the type of person that would laugh at you because of your stupid fears.

"I know this sounds silly but I have Aquaphobia," He admitted.

"Aquaphobia?" 2D squinted.

"The fear of water. I get really anxious around large bodies of water. It's gotten a lot better over the years but when I used to be a teen, I wouldn't take a shower for nothing."

"So if you are scared of water then why are you sitting by the pool right now?" 2D asked.

"I'm not freaking out because I'm not in the water. But if I was I would probably cry my eyes out or something." He tossed his switchblade up into the air.

"How about when you shower?"

"It's mostly when I'm surrounded in water. Not when the water is falling on me. Take rain, for example, I'm totally fine with that because I'm not being surrounded by water. The water is falling on me. Sorry, I sound like such a coward."

"No, not at all. You're really brave, and I think that's pretty badass." 2D eyes twinkled as he complimented Ace.

"Haha, thanks, man. Okay, my turn. How do you feel about relationships?" Ace may have pushed that too far.

"I haven't been I one ever since I broke up with Paula. And that was twenty years ago. I've been involved with a few girls and groupies here and there but I don't consider those as serious relationships because it was only that one-night stand type of thing." He paused and took another whiff of smoke before continuing. "But can I trust you?" Ace nodded.

"Of course you can." 2D ruffled his hair and looked at Ace in the eyes. He hasn't talked to anyone about this and he felt that Ace would really understand him, even though they didn't really know each other. But if Ace trusted him enough to tell him that he had Aquaphobia, then he could trust him back

"I don't think I know what I am anymore," Ace looked confused.

"What do you mean?"

"T-these past years, I-I haven't felt anything. I just feel... Numb."

"I still can't pick up,"

"I-I haven't felt love or any kind of affection towards other people these past years. I've had so many things put on me that I think I just blocked out those emotions, you know what I mean?" Ace thought about that for a while. In a way, he could understand him. All the pressure and pain that he's been put through all these years. That could really break a person.

"I get what you mean and I'm not here to tell you that it's wrong to feel that way. But you don't deserve and shouldn't feel that way. Now, I'm not trying to make you remember everything you've been through, I don't even know half of it but based on interviews and the meaning behind some of your songs, I can tell that you've been through some tough shit. And you don't deserve to feel that way. You deserve to feel loved and affection from other people and towards other people. I don't know if you'll ever tell me what happened with Doc' and you don't have to now or ever. But I just want to tell you that sometimes when things get rough and hard, you just have to assemble all of your pieces and put them back together. I know that that's not going to happen today or tomorrow but no matter how long it takes, I just want to let you know that I want to help you. I want to help you towards those first steps of recovery. And I know that's going to take a while, so how about I just start off with this?"

Ace opened his arms and leaned into 2D to embrace him in a soft hug. This is the type of affection 2D needed these past years of his life. The media hasn't let him relax like this for a long time. Not just the media, Murdoc was part of it too. But now he could finally be himself because he doesn't have anything to worry about. And even if he did he has a group of loving people behind him, supporting him all the way through. He accepted Ace's hug and embraced the warmth of the bassist.

"If you ever need to talk, I'll be here," Ace promised.