Information

I knew we had reached the Lake Walkers. The hike to the camp was quiet and a knife had been constantly in my side the whole way, despite Michael telling my captor that I wouldn't harm anyone. I wouldn't have been able to harm them even if I tried. I learned on our walk that my captor was indeed Declan Harp. 

I had heard many terrible things about Declan Harp. Captain Chesterfield had beaten me because of him, but even if I had wanted to hurt any of them I wouldn't stand a chance. Declan surrounded himself with trained warriors. I could tell by the way they walked silently in the snow and how they maneuvered through the woods. Every move was calculated. 

Still, somehow I was not frightened. Maybe it was because of that fact nothing could be scarier than Chesterfield coming home after a bad day or the fact being here with these people was better than being at home. I wasn't sure. 

I stood, shivering next to Declan Harp as he continuously pressed his sharp knife into my side. He looked over at Michael and grunted. I wasn't sure what it meant but Michael did. He and Declan switched places and Declan carried the young injured boy into the large Cree tent with the woman we had walked with. 

As soon as Declan was out of sight, Michael put down the knife and stuck it into his pocket. 

"I'm sorry about all of this," Michael said sheepishly, "Declan isn't the best host for new people". 

He pulled off his top layer coat and wrapped it around me. It snuggly covered the smaller coat I was wearing. It was obvious I wan't dressed for the weather. My nicest dress was soaked down to my petticoat and my small shoes were not made for the snow that covered the ground.

"It's not your fault, Michael. Is it inappropriate to say that I am relieved to be away from Fort James, even if Declan Harp threatened me at knife-point all the way here?", I asked shivering in my shoes.  

Michael flashed me a cheeky grin and looked towards the tent Declan had disappeared into. 

"Not at all. That's how I feel. Anything is better than going back there". 

I followed Michael's gaze towards the tent and cocked my head, "who was that boy you all risked your lives to save?". 

Michael rubbed his hands together in an effort to created warmth and nodded off towards the tent, " His name is Kitchi. He's the grandson of the chief of the Lake Walkers". 

I nodded my head quietly and sighed, "I heard Captain Chesterfield talking about the boy a few days ago. He was in a sour mood". 

Michael moved a timid step closer to me and leaned his head down near mine, "have you heard any word about Clenna?". 

I placed a soft, cold hand on Michael's shoulder and shook my head. 

"I'm sorry Michael. I haven't. It's probably a good thing that I haven't heard of any news. That means she is probably not in Fort James yet", I said softly. 

He looked down at his shoes crunching softly in the snow and I could tell he was heartbroken. He really loved her. 

As silence surrounded us, Declan and the woman came out of the tent. No words were exchanged as they approached but Declan stormed to me and gripped my arm tight pulling me in the opposite direction of the tent. 

"Let's set up camp," he gruffed at Michael and the woman. 

The worked quickly and before I could realize what they were doing, a fire and several tents were already pitched up. 

Declan ruffly pushed me down onto and stump and sat facing me. He looked me up and down and studied my face. I felt incredibly intimidated. Declan Harp was a large man. His shoulders were broad and stature was taller than any man I had ever seen. Captain Chesterfield would've looked very small next to this man. His eyes were piercing but I couldn't help but notice his left eye seemed slightly glazed over. He looked rough. He looked like a man who knew the forest and knew how to kill. 

"Michael here tells me you have information...", he said lowly, jerking his head in the direction of Michael, "tell me why I shouldn't kill you right now?". 

I scoffed despite my intimidation. 

"If I tell you who I am...I might be advocating for why you should kill me right now", I said glancing over at the burning fire. 

The fire seemed so lively, so free. I watched as Michael and the woman placed some kind of meat over it.

"Who are you then?", Declan asked raising an eyebrow at me. 

"One of Lord Benton's favorite dinner guest and Captain Chesterfield's wife"