Retribution

"Declan F*cking Harp in the flesh", Malcolm Brown said looking at all of us as we waltzed into the tent, "You'd better tell me why the f*ck you're walking around my camp like you own the f*ckin' place". 

I wiggled in my boots and placed myself behind Michael as Malcolm Brown addressed Declan. 

"Oh, I found this piece of sh*t and I thought you might want it back", Declan said reaching back and grabbing our kidnapper and throwing him to the ground in front of the Brown brother. 

"huh", Malcolm said unamused, looking the man over, "Maclaughlan". 

Declan gritted his teeth and pushed Maclaughlan forward onto his hands and knees. 

"Does he work for you?", he asked angrily. 

"This f*cking thief?", Malcolm said in disgust,  "I threw him and some other useless pricks like him out months ago. I'd sooner gut him than look at him". 

Malcolm then looked at our congregation of people standing in the tent. I could see the gears in his head moving. 

"What did he do?", he asked curiously. 

"Attacked the Lake Walker village, half a dozen dead", Declan said, spitting in Maclaughlan's direction. 

"Jesus Christ", Malcolm said, "F*cking idiot". 

Declan reached forward and grabbed the man by his clothes. 

"He's wearing your colors", he said sternly.

The red and black squares on his clothing matched Malcolm Brown's clothing exactly but he didn't look too concerned. 

"So that's why you're here and decided to bring your friends, to accuse me of murder? Is that how you would do business, eh? Kill your suppliers?", Malcolm snorted and shook his head, "Don't be ridiculous man". 

Declan breathed hard and I could tell he was becoming agitated. 

"Yeah well, your f*ck head brother kidnapped one of them", Declan said, "Kitchi. The Okimaw's grandson. Held him hostage". 

Malcolm sighed deeply and shook his head, "If Cedric had anything to do with this I'll personally rip him a new arse". 

"Cedric is dead", Declan said bluntly, "A man named Chesterfield, Benton's right hand man killed him". 

My heart lurched as I heard Chesterfield's name. I wasn't surprised that he had killed someone. I had lived with him long enough to know the pain he could inflict on someone. 

"I'm going to find this man Chesterfield and when I'm finished with him there won't be a piece bigger then my fist!", Malcolm said angrily, clenching his fists in rage. 

Declan's eyes flickered to me and I sucked in a sharp breath. I grabbed onto Michael's arm and luckily for me, he let me. I silently prayed that Declan wouldn't mention that I was Chesterfield's wife. I was sure if that happened, I would be dead in an instant. 

"You've got a bigger problem now", Declan said, moving his eyes off of me, "The Lake Walkers are seeking retribution". 

Malcolm proceeded to yell and beat up MacLaughlan as I pulled Michael closer to me. 

"Why did Declan protect me?" I whispered to him. 

Michael gave me a look and leaned in to whisper to me. 

"If he didn't like you or need you, you'd be dead by now", he said squeezing my hand that was latched onto his arm. 

We both looked up and towards the tent opening as gun shots sounded through out the camp. 

"Savages!", someone screamed from outside of the tent. 

There were people screaming and I could see feet running out from behind the tent opening. 

Declan and Malcolm herded us all out of the tent and into the madness outside. 

Everyone was running around the camp and screams and gunshots echoed through the air. 

Declan motioned us to crouch behind a pile of wood. 

"Do you believe Malcolm?", Declan asked Michael and Sokanon. 

They both looked at each other for a second before I butted in and caught Declan's attention. 

"This is Benton's work", I said confidently. 

This is what Benton was always trying to do. He loved to stir things up with the other companies and the Lake Walkers. Many a days I would sit and listen to Chesterfield and Lord Benton talk about these very situations and now I was in the middle of one. 

Declan nodded at me and looked around as more gun shots were being fired, "this is what he wants, us at each other's throats". 

"We need proof for Kamenna to stop Machk", Declan said looking over at Sokanon. 

Sokanon got a mischievous look on her face and gave a small smirk, "I could free MacLaughlan, let him escape and follow him. If Delilah's right, he'll lead us straight to Benton".   

Declan thought for a second as bullets whizzed by our heads. 

"All right, do it", Declan said to Sokanon, "and take Michael with you". 

Sokanon let out a frustrated breath and gave Declan a knowing look. 

"He'll slow me down", Sokanon argued. 

"So teach him", Declan countered, holding his ground. 

I found it interesting to hear Sokanon and Declan talk to each other. They bickered like children and had a playful energy between them. I didn't know that was even possible with a man like Declan Harp. 

"What about Delilah?", Sokanon asked, looking over at me with a concerned look.

I was relieved that Sokanon had asked about me and I quietly hoped that Declan would let me go with her and Michael. I felt relaxed with Michael and I even enjoyed Sokanon's kind yet firm nature. With Declan I still felt on edge. 

Declan must've sensed my excitement to go with Sokanon because his facial expression got dark and the playful energy he had had with Sokanon was gone. 

"Delilah stays with me"