one

Willow Evans was not born a vampire

Willow Evans was not born a vampire. She was turned when she was 17-years-old. She didn't want that life. She didn't want to grab strangers and drink their blood.

She wanted to be a normal teenager and go to parties, then get drunk, maybe even have sex, but that didn't seem to happen.

On the other hand, Malia was born a supernatural creature. Her mother was a coyote and her father was a werewolf, making her a werecoyote.

So, when Malia's adoptive father paid another teenager to come watch her, Malia could not understand why.

"You keep sneaking out at night with those boys!" her father exclaimed. "I don't understand it. So while I'm away on my hunting trip, you're going to have a babysitter."

Malia looked at him with an incredulous expression on her face. "A babysitter? Dad, I'm a junior! I can take care of myself."

"Yeah, you can take care of yourself - while you're sneaking out of the house to go with those boys, which I don't like. So, you're getting a babysitter," he retorted, putting his foot down.

"This is so unfair," Malia huffed.

"No, what's unfair is you disappearing for half of your own life, then suddenly coming back. I don't want you gone anymore, Malia. In a year, you're going to be a senior, then probably move away. I never even got to spend much time with you, so please - just this time, listen to me."

Malia stared at her dad. She could smell his sadness and desperation. Malia nodded, causing her dad to let out a sigh of relief and happiness. It was hypocritical because he just ranted about spending time with her, then he was going to leave her with a stranger.

"Thank you, sweetheart. Your babysitter should be here soon. Once she gets here, I'm gone. Oh, I'm so excited to kill some deer," he whispered excitedly.

The doorbell rang, signaling that the babysitter was there. Malia sighed audibly and dramatically, causing her dad to stare at her before he opened the door.

"Hey, Willow, come on in."

Vampires had to be invited into someone's house in order to enter. Once they were invited in, they could enter whenever they'd like from then on.

Unlike most movies and myths, vampires could stand the sun and they did not glitter, but long periods of time in the sun would cause vampires to have less energy, making them weaker and slower.

Holding garlic up to a vampire would not harm them. The smell did nothing either. However, if a vampire ingested garlic, then they would get a "fever." If they ingested too much, their insides would burst.

Garlic couldn't kill vampires - even if their insides burst. Only one thing could kill a vampire for good, and that was mercury. The silver substance was highly lethal to vampires. A tiny leak inside the vampire body would not kill them, but still make a vampire weak. If mercury entered the brain, heart, or punctured completely through the body, then the vampire would die.

Malia sniffed the air around Willow as she entered the household. Malia's father smiled and beckoned her in, then grabbed his duffel bag and slung it over his shoulder.

"I'll see you girls...later?" he questioned at the end as he looked at Malia sticking her nose in the air.

Willow followed his line of sight to stare at Malia. Malia snapped her eyes over to Willow and narrowed her eyes.

"Don't worry about Malia. She's - uh - special - and very behind in her schoolwork, so I'd also appreciate it if you could tutor her. I'll pay you double."

Willow smiled and nodded. "Will do, Sir."

"I don't want to be alone with her," Malia announced.

There was something about Willow that screamed dangerous.

"Tough luck, Malia, you're staying with her. Now, have a good night, girls."