The Final Letter

Nancy and William, both mid 30s, have known each other for almost a year yet never met each other in person. Their relationship started as friends with the same common interests. Over time, they started to relate more and more to each other that they couldn't help but fall in love. They talked for hours and hours on the phone. They each have at least 100 pictures of each other.

The problem was that they lived in different states and neither could afford to visit one another. Every time they would plan it, something would occur to prevent it. Whether it was William's mom dying or Nancy's emergency surgery, they couldn't catch a break. Their hearts yearned to be together but were too far apart.

One morbid topic they both were fascinated with was serial killers and true crime. Add in the fact that a serial killer was on the loose in Nancy's city. Despite her fascination with it, she was in constant fear. The killer was choosing his victims at random. This had been going on for close to 9 months.

William would have to assure her that she would be ok. He told her constantly that he was praying for her safety.

Valentine's Day arrived. She had sent him a nice yet inexpensive black and red ring that he has been wanting. He sent her flowers via a local company as well as a necklace she has been wanting.

They talked for a few hours and decided to call it a night. She felt lonelier than ever that night. She ended up crying herself to sleep. That night she slept so comfortable. She had the best dream she has ever had. A dream that hurts so much to wake up from. She dreamt that she was cradled in William's arms. She remembers kissing him for the first time and falling asleep atop his gentle beating heart.

It was the first time she slept for over 10 hours in a long time. She woke up, feeling groggier than usual but smiles at the dream. She never remembers her dreams but this one she did. As she gets out of bed, she feels a small pain on her left arm. She looks at it and sees a tiny bruise in the space between her bicep and forearm.

Then she looks at the bed and a tan envelope rests on the pillow next to hers. She nervously walks over to it and picks it up. it is a little too heavy to be a letter. She opens it and immediately sees a piece of folded up handwritten letter. She opens it and it reads as follows:

"Dearest Nancy,

By now, you are obviously awake and alert. That means the medicine has worn off. I'm sorry I had to inject you with my favorite sedative but it was necessary."

She takes her eyes off the letter and looks at her bruised arm. Her eyes shift back to the letter.

"I've been in and out of your town for a while now. The people there and back home are so easy to remove. I assured you that you would be safe...because it was me. You feared me and loved me at the same time without even knowing it. I decided to enter your home which means if I didn't love you, you'd be dead. I avoided us meeting because I didn't want to subject you to my horrors. Since people like me rarely roam free I made the decision to enter your home. Also had to make sure you didn't waken because how could you let me leave? The knife I gave you was my instrument of choice and I played it well."

She reaches in the envelope and pulls out a butcher knife. She quickly drops it.

"My time in the free world is coming to end and I'd go crazier if I couldn't touch you at least once. Imagine my fear when you leaned over to kiss me. I thought I was finished. Your lips are very soft, just like I imagined. I'm sorry it had to be this way, but the reality is I can never live the life we want because of what I am. I hope you remember the kiss and remember my words. Until we meet again, my love. Love, William."

Her eyes flood with tears. Then she reads the final line.

"P.S Check your phone. It is for your eyes only!"

She grabs her phone and on it is a picture of them in bed. She's asleep and his head rests atop hers. He has a genuine peaceful smile. She begins to sob uncontrollably.

A few nights later, she is watching the news. William has not contacted her despite her writing him. The breaking news story shows that William has been apprehended. The news footage shows the authorities escorting William to the station. Before her eyes could officially over flow with painful tears...she gets a good look of his left hand as he walks by the camera. On his left ring finger, is the ring she gave him.