I Am Here For You

Arnold stood alone in the large room as all the other Elders filed out one-by-one. His breaths became shallow as his brain scrambled to put the pieces of his now shattered life together. He’d just been revealed as a fraud to the whole town, to the other missionaries, and, worst of all, to the love of his life. Well, could he even call her that anymore, after what he’d done to her? ...He couldn’t even remember her name...Not that it mattered now.

 The large room appeared anything but, and it seemed as though the walls were closing in on him; he felt as though the walls were going to crush him, and the heat began to get to him in a way that it hadn’t ever done before.

 The sound of shoes on the dirt floor forced Arnold from his thoughts, and he already knew who it was. I mean, who else could it be? ...Of course it would be him.

 “I really did it this time, huh?” He spoke up, his voice seeming far too loud. Oh how he hated it! He hated how he would never shut up, even when he wanted to. And now, he felt his lips moving, his throat vibrating as even more useless bullshit spewed forth from that nonsense brain of his. Except, this time, the words actually had some sort of weight, some meaning.

 “I mean I've-I've always been a screw-up… but this?” With a shake of his head, his eyes flicked over his shoulder to take in the silhouette of his ‘companion’ who was leaning against the doorframe.  “The thing is I... I-I really liked her too, you know? And in fact, maybe.. it was like I could almost be a normal person, with a girl who cared about me, who was...hot...And instead, I made those poor Africans put on the biggest abomination in Mormon history.”

 It was quiet for a long moment, and the silence disturbed him. It made him shiver with nervousness, his fingers twitching as he clutched tightly at his own shirt. The silence, oh the silence! It was killing him! In those long bouts of quiet, Arnold had to face his own thoughts, and that was too much work for him to do.

 His brain felt as though it was on fire, and his eyes began to water. And, he couldn’t help but fear that Kevin was judging him...this prolonged silence had to be a sure sign. But, he didn’t care what Kevin thought of him, right? Well, he used to. He had cared so much-! ...He did still care...But, why?

 He’d admired Kevin Price for so long, everyone did, and nothing could compare to the pure joy he’d felt when they’d been paired together. Just thinking of the memory made Arnold want to smile, even in his current predicament. But...Kevin had hurt him...Kevin was selfish, all he wanted was Orlando.

 ...He didn’t want Arnold...he’d never want Arnold, and there’s nothing that Arnold could ever do about that…

 He was past Kevin, right? He had Neutrogena now, right?

 ….Why did he care so much about what Kevin thought about him?

 Kevin’s crisp voice broke the silence, and he stepped out of the doorway, inching closer to Arnold. “Joseph Smith dying of dysentery? Moroni from the Starship Enterprise?” Arnold flinched, despising that tone of his, but feeling too weak to be angry about it. “That play was the most…”

 Arnold’s chest heaved, and he let out a faint sob. When he felt a gentle hand on his shoulder, he jumped up a bit, his shaking worsening.

 “-beautiful thing I've ever seen.”

 Arnold’s world seemed to stop for a moment, and so did his heart. Those words...the way they were said...is this the same Kevin Price he knew? Was this the man who had left him for some stupid city? ...or was this the one who held his hand, and was his first friend?

 No, he was never your friend.

 He turned around cautiously, looking up at Kevin with wide eyes.