Chapter 1

Hey. I hope you'll enjoy this chapter.

Comment

Vote

Share

:)

P.S. Cover by @Nessa_29.

Maybe the first chapter isn't that good, but please keep reading it. It gets better.

~Sandra

***

It was a cold night. The wind was screaming like a man in pain. I was heading home. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a fireman extinguishing the fire that was ravaging my home. I rushed towards the house, but something stopped me. I saw mom in an ambulance. I asked a girl inside, sitting next to her. "H-How is she?"

She shook her head, staring at my mother's face. I stood there in shock. After a moment of fear, I heard myself sob and a tear fell from my cheek. Suddenly, the rain started to pour down as if it was sharing the pain with me. My legs were trembling from fear, fear of losing my mom . I fell on my knees and my hands, became loose. I screamed. "MOM!"

I woke up breathing heavily. Dad was next to me. He said. "It's just a dream. Don't worry."

I cried on his shoulder. He hugged me tight. I said, trembling. "She was in my dreams. The day she passed away."

He hugged me tighter, wiping my tears and said.

"Honey, you're only 15. You have a great future ahead of you. We have to move on and try to forget about everything. We moved to this town just to forget. Did you forget about the deal?"

I stayed quiet. After half an hour of comforting me, Dad yawned, so I said. "Dad, I'm sorry to wake you up. Go back to sleep. You're really tired."

"Are you sure?" Dad asked, unsure.

"Yeah, I'll be okay."

He leaned down and kissed my forehead. "Good night, kiddo"

"Good night dad"

I laid on my bed. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I decided to go for a walk and get some fresh air. I put on skinny jeans and a random t-shirt. I took my keys and left quietly. I was walking near the beach. I took a deep breath. I sat on a bench and watched the ocean waves crashing against the rocks, but the rocks were staying still not moving...

"Hey!" Someone said snapping me out of my thoughts. I turned my head to my right to see a boy around my age, staring at me with green eyes. I turned away and wiped my tears with the back of my hand.

He said. "I called you, like six times, but you didn't answer."

I looked to face him.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

I looked at him with confusion. He must have saw the confusion on my face since he added.

"I'm sorry. I'm Jason." He held out his hand.

"Jennifer" I shook his hand.

He looked at my hand, still holding it. "You're cold." He took off his jacket and gave it to me.

"It's okay. You'll be cold."

"No I'm good." I took it, smiled, and thanked him.

He then said awkwardly. "So, Jennifer... what's wrong?"

"I was... drowning in my thoughts." I answered. He smiled. I faked a smile. I learned to fake a smile over these past six months so everyone would believe that I'm fine. But, the truth is, I'm not. Not at all...

He snapped me out of my thoughts, again. "I have never seen you before."

"That's because I'm new here. We moved today."

"Really" It was more a statement than a question. I nodded.

"That's my house over there." I said pointing to my house.

"Ohh, you're Mr. Jackson's daughter."

"How do you know him?" I looked at him.

"He bought the house from my father. We're living next door." There was a pause. "So we're neighbors."

"Yeah" I smiled, not knowing what to do.

"W-why are you here? -I mean it's mid-dnight a-and you're all alone-i mean-"

"Bad night's sleep." I cut him off, watching the sea.

"Ohh"

There was a silence. I saw him from the corner of my eye passing his hand through his brown sandy hair then he said. "Do you have any siblings?"

"No" I said blankly.

"So, you're living alone with your parents." He stated as a matter of fact.

"Actually, I'm living with my father." I don't know why I said that. I said it unconsciously.

"Your parents are divorced?"

I looked again at the sea. I should tell him the truth. I don't want to lie. I hate lying. But I also hate the pity that will wash his face the minute I'll tell him. I realized that he is still waiting for an answer.

"N-No... My mother died, 6 months ago."

"Oh. I'm sorry. I-"

"Don't be." I cut him off. I was being a little rude, but I really can't stand these apologies. As if it was their fault my mother was dead, or if they apologize, my mother will get up and live again.

I looked at my watch. "Maybe I should go home." I said as I stood up.

When I looked at his face, I was surprised that pity wasn't washed over it...

"Um...yeah...sure"

I was getting off the jacket, but he put a hand on my shoulder and said. "No. Keep it. You'll give it back later. It could be an excuse to see you soon." He winked.

I laughed and said: "Thank you. So... see you soon... goodnight."

"Goodnight"

I opened the door and tiptoed to my room. I took off the jacket and placed in my closet.

"Where were you?" I jumped. I turned to see dad, leaning on the door frame.

"I couldn't sleep, so I went for a walk." I answered.

"You should have told me, or at least left a note."

"Dad, I'm sorry. It won't ever happen again."

"Whatever, goodnight" He said as he walked away. I sighed and closed the door. I put on my pajamas and went to sleep.