Yōjin

The cascading Camellia tree was all green. It was a warm yet beautiful Summer's day. Ryuuichi was finding reasons to smile again, to leave his bedroom, 5 years after the death of  Tsukiko.

The fragrances of Summer blooms played and frolicked around in the wind, enticing noses, influencing smiles on the faces of most.

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

The smell of Wisteria flowers was especially pleasant to the nose of young Tsubaki; attracting her to the wisteria tree like a butterfly. At the Wisteria tree stood her caretaker.
She had plucked some of the flowers from the tree and upon receiving Tsubaki, she put some of the flowers behind her ear and others she gave Tsubaki to hold as a bouquet.
All whilst Ryuuichi watched from the side of the Koi pond.

After this, Tsubaki turned around to return to her father and was stopped by something that shocked her. She gasped and grabbed her thin, white hairs upon seeing it; a large toad sitting on one of the pond rocks. As she pointed it out to her father, completely speechless, he laughed out loud, for the first time in 5 years.

All the servants around the radius of the large koi pond where absolutely stunned by what they saw next. They saw their Daimyō lift up his robes carefully and descend into the pond, wade through the water and steep his feet in the mud. He reached out and snapped off a half-open Lotus bud then he waded towards Tsubaki who was reaching out but tripped and fell into the water herself. He quickly grabbed her and lifted her up. She was giggling. Ryuuichi wiped her face with his sleep then drew her attention towards the lotus bud and together, they watched it unfurl beautifully. Everybody stood still with them. Time stood still for the father and daughter watching the cheery lotus flower. The wisteria blooms floated on the water, some of them being picked at by the koi.

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Around afternoon, two men were at the then-empty pond area.

Akimoto Hiranao and Tachibana Nobuhiro stood together.

"I'm glad Ryuuichi is smiling again, able to leave his room-" said Tachibana before being interrupted by Akimoto.

"He is ignoring his responsibility. Due to his grieving, the domain has suffered greatly." - stated Akimoto.

"His wife died ... he had a right to grieve..." – replied Tachibana.

"Yes, but to the extent he took it? The domain is in peril! We'll be abolished before the Daimyō's passing!" - replied Akimoto, his tone pointier than before.

Akimoto turned around and headed towards the tai-an* tea-room and Tachibana followed him. The toad sat at the poolside, the sun setting cast its shadow in front it of. It watched as the two Samurai walked off into the room and slid the door shut. Upon entering, they left their shoes at the door and sat down in front of the Tea-master who had just prepared for them sencha.
Akimoto gave her a nod to let her know they need their privacy.
She quickly rose, bowed and left the room.

"The domain is on the verge of collapse, and unless Daimyō Ryuuichi can pull some sort of miracle, there's only one way to save it." – remarked Akimoto while disrobing his Kimono and Shitagi.

"And that is to merge with another domain." – answered Tachibana whilst eyeing the scars on Akimoto's torso.

"It'll be the end of us. Whatever... that domain ... is they probably have their own fleet of Samurai they cannot pay." –replied Tachibana, nervously.

"Come here, Omomo**" – whispered Akimoto to Tachibana.

"Akimoto... not today... also I told you I do not like that name..." – replied Tachibana.

"You dare oppose my will? After I took you in and sacrificed years of my life and my physical health for you?" – replied Akimoto

"Sensei...why..." –asked Tachibana.

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Outside, the Toad watched. It watched the shadows of the two men merge into one.

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖