Glossary

1. Shimizu:

*A Eunuch is a castrated man. They were usually tasked with guarding concubines and female companions of the highest class as there was no chance of these men sexually abusing the women. Eunuchs were incontinent and usually smelled of an odour with the name of "Eunuch smell" because of their urinary incontinence.

2. Yōjin:

*Tai-an = An extremely small tea room built with the purpose of building closeness between the tea-server and the drinker.

**Omomo = an affectionate name given by men to their lovers (female) during the Edo Era.

3. Shiruto:

*Ikebana is a Japanese method of flower arranging where flowers are arranged on a "frog" to represent earth, man and heaven. Ikebana means to "Bring life to flowers".

**An Ikebana Frog or a "Kenzan" is usually a piece of wood or stone with nails or needles protruding out for piercing flower stems to make them stand in a desired position and angle.

***Logwood was used by Japanese women before mascara was invented.

4. Yogore:

Noh masks are masks used during Traditional Japanese theater plays to represent different characters and their intention.

5. Fu-Cho:

*Shishi Odoshi is a water-feature in Japanese gardens. The name translates to "Deer Scarer".

**Bird of Paradise is an exotic bird usually found in Indonesia, Papua and Australia. The name of this chapter is the Japanese name for these bird genus.

***Kami is the Japanese term for 'God'.

6. Koigokoro:

*An Oiran is a senior consort at a Yoshiwara.

** A Yoshiwara is a term used for an Edo-era brothel.

***An Obi is a piece of clothing like a belt but it was much bigger, had multiple layers sometimes and was used to keep Kimonos closed and sometimes to hold katana or short, defense knives.

7. - RIKKA ARRANGEMENT:

*tokkuri = A narrow vessel that holds Sake.

**Kiku = Chrysanthemum; a popular funeral flower in Japan.

8. - SHOKA ARRANGEMENT

*Beni = An ancient Japanese lipstick made from ground up flowers. Is green but turns bright red when water is added.

**Shoka arrangement = An Ikebana arranging style.

***Ronin = A low-class Samurai. usually poorer than the average Samurai and does not garner the same kind of respect an actual Samurai does.

9. -JIYUKA ARRANGEMENT

*Taiko = A traditional Japanese drum; usually hit in slow hits of one-two; one-two.

**Irori = A sunken area in a Japanese room used for heating or cooking. This was one of the reasons homes in the Edo era usually burned down a few times a week.

***Shiro-muku = a pure white Shinto wedding dress.

****San san Ku do = A set of small to medium sake glasses for the bride and the groom to drink from. "San san ku do" means "Three three nine".

*****Yome-iri = A marriage ceremony where the woman is given away to the family of the man.

******Sankon-no-gi = when the bride and groom drink from the San san Ku do set to purify themselves of the "three flaws": Hatred, Passion and Ignorance.

10. Yurushite, Kami-sama (Finale):

*Jigoku = Hell.

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖