Reunion

"So," Jack spoke up. "How are we going to bring Naib to the survivors' side without being seen?" he asked, looking at Naib's sleeping figure.

Joseph smiled as he held up his camera. Jack got what he meant and nodded. "Of course," Jack said.

Joseph set his camera on the desk and positioned the lens towards Jack. "Say cheese~" he said before taking the picture.

His camera projected a bright screen, on it was an image of Jack sitting on the bed with Naib resting beside him. "Make it fast, the illusion world doesn't last long," Joseph said. Jack nodded again and carried the sleeping wolf bridal style.

With a salute, Joseph watched as Jack entered the screen, disappearing on the other side. Jack glanced around in amazement as the world around him turned grey. He quickly shook his head and snapped himself back to reality. 'I mustn't get distracted. This world doesn't last forever,' he reminded himself.

Jack exit his room and brought Naib to a dimly lit corridor. At the end of it was a door that connects the hunters' side to the survivors'. Jack turned the doorknob, entering another dark corridor.

Upon arriving at the main hall, he saw that there were survivors everywhere. He noticed a broken chain on the wall. 'That must be where little Naib used to be,' he thought.

Careful not to wake Naib up, he placed him down gently. He stroked his head one last time. "Please behave, little Naib," he said regretfully. "It would kill me to lose you again..."

Naib slowly opened his eyes. He lifted up his head to see that he was with his friends again. He ignored Jack and darted towards them in excitement. "Good to see you've missed me too," Jack said sarcastically.

Naib tackled William to the ground and licked his face. He observed William curiously as he didn't respond. He barked. William's face remained unchanged as it was just an illusion.

Oblivious to the fact, Naib whined and nuzzled William's face. "Naib, it's just an illusion," Jack explained. "He's just an image. You'll see the real him in a second."

Jack turned to leave but froze when he heard a threatening bark behind him. Naib red eyes glowed brightly as he growled. "L-Little Naib?" Jack said, taking a step back.

The infected mercenary continued snarling at him, thinking he had done something to his friends. "I didn't do anything, I'm telling you they're an image," Jack said. Without warning, he pounced onto Jack with mouth open wide, ready to bite.

Jack blocked his face with his arm, causing Naib to bite it instead. He grunted when Naib's sharp teeth dug into his flesh.

Naib stood on all fours as he refused to let go of his arm. A few seconds later, the illusion world collapse. Colour filled the world around them.

Jack was frozen in place as the survivors stared at him. They screamed at the top of their lungs when they saw Jack appeared out of thin air. Jack held his free hand up in defence. "C-Calm down, I'm not going to hurt you," he said.

Some took a step back but William charged at Jack and hit him in the stomach. "Hey! Let go of my bro!" he exclaimed.

Jack grunted in pain as he held his stomach. Naib let go of Jack and rushed to William. Jack fell on one knee, tolerating the pain on his arm and body. "H-He should be the one letting me go...," Jack managed to say. "I was j-just trying to bring him b-back to you."

The survivors calmed a bit. "Your arm," Emily said. "It's injured. Here, let me help," she continued as she grabbed her first-aid kit.

Jack sat cross-legged on the ground as Emily came up to him to treat his wound. Naib stuck his tongue out to lick William's face but William was pushing him back. "Haha.. good to see you too buddy," William said. "Where have you been?"

"He was left to starve in the middle of the forest," Jack said, receiving uncomfortable looks from the survivors.

"...This is our fault," Emma mumbled. "If only we kept a close eye on him..."

Naib hid behind William, snarling non-stop at Jack. "He needs to remember who he is," Jack said grimly. "All he cares about is protecting you all. It's like that's the only thing he knows."

Emily noticed the hurt in his voice. He seemed heartbroken that Naib doesn't remember him. She frowned as she wrapped the bandage around Jack's wound. Memories of how Naib would act after playing a round with Jack came to her mind. He thinks he's good at hiding it, but there's always a small smile underneath that hoodie.

"I'm sorry Jack," Emily said. "I wish there was a way to turn him back to normal."

"What?" Kreacher said. "Why would you want him to turn back? He's the strongest ally we have. With him we can win every round!"

"I doubt that," Jack said. "I'm sure the host would kill him before he manages to kill every hunter. After all, if there are no hunters, there is no game."

A long silence crossed the room. Then, Kevin spoke up. "We could try training him to be a good dog," he said, whipping his whip, creating a snap sound.

The sharp noise startled Naib as he jumped back and whined. William stood in front of Naib protectively. "Hey, I'm not letting you hit him with that whip," he said.

"Maybe there's a way to help him remember?" said Martha.

"Yes," Emily said. "If something important to him happened again, it could possibly trigger his memories."

"Oh, I know just the thing!" Vera said before darting off. Moments later, she returned with Naib's diary.

"Good thinking, Vera," said Martha.

Vera opened the diary to a random page and put it in front of Naib. "See anything of significance?" she asked. Naib stared at the book for a while. He tilted his head to the side before sniffing it.

Jack and the others watched him in anticipation. Their eyes widened when Naib chewed on the book.

"No! Don't eat it!" they said.

******

A/N:
Yes, I managed to update on schedule today. As some of you know, I write a few chapters in advance, that's how I manage to update everyday.
I stopped writing for a few days due to my sickness and ran out of backup chapters. Thankfully, I've recovered this morning (not fully, but I still have energy to write) and wrote another chapter! ^-^

In case you're wondering, I have difficulty breathing and would feel like vomiting but never actually vomit. It hurts my lungs and my stomach...

But I'm feeling a little bit better now. Thank you for your wishes and your patience, love you all~!
<3

Don't forget to follow these wonderful member of the squad by @MarthaBehamfil
👇👇👇
Survivors
Gardener - luminescentie
Coordinator - MarthaBehamfil
Mercenary - Artist-Fantasy
Mechanic - TZYzOeY | nizons
Lucky Guy - starsglory
Doctor - DoctorDyer / __poppyseed__
Prophet/Fortune Teller - EchoJustice
Forward - _AwkwardLoser_
Dancer - 1ChainedToTheRythm1

Hunters
Geisha - Lollipop11213345
The Ripper - Achinubis
Smiley Face - Siniora-Chan
Violetta - PichetPlykum
Wu Chang (Black) - Chocofunduk | JaeAndLex (Lex)
Wu Chang (White) - JaeAndLex (Jae)