Second Chance

Today was the day. 

A fresh start and, hopefully, a turn for the better.

I had just turned 21, finished college and was beginning a new internship. Problem was that I wasn’t too keen on some of the details about this job.

Let me explain.

Months ago I applied to about 50 places and heard back from a few places, but nothing that sparked my interest. Then I got a response from something called Modest! Management. 

Apparently my younger, 14-year-old sister knew all about this company and I didn’t.

Initially I was confused until she told me that, of course, her favorite boy bands (5SOS and One Direction) were managed by them.

Understanding this was obviously a big deal kind of company, I immediately accepted and realized that this meant a big move for me. California to London.

Very scary, but it needed to happen.

My past was clinging onto me and I was needing to desperately move on and separate myself from everything that had been bringing me down. 

I was a little embarrassed to admit to my little sister that I had no idea who those bands were that she was soooo crazy about. She laughed at me when I asked if they were all brothers or something. I know, I know, boy bands ended for me once Nsync died out. (JT’s bleached curls were awful, but I was all about him).

According to the email I had gotten most recently I would be working more for One Direction seeing as they were kind of becoming a HUGE deal and they needed interns ASAP. 

So my little sister schooled me explaining simple things like the fact that One Direction were four British guys and one Irish one, that they had begun on X Factor and not even won but their fans loved them so much that they basically were the reason for their immense success.

Then she told me other things, a little weirder more specific things, like one of them has a couple extra nipples, something about carrots and explaining how they are horrible dancers, but that it’s somehow endearing (huh??).

A couple weeks later it was time to go.

My bags were packed and my family was dropping me off at the airport. My little sister looked like she would combust and was sending me off with a 10 page letter to Niall, which I explained I’d try to get to him, but that I was only working in the office behind the scenes. I’d probably never meet these guys anyway. 

After long hugs and lots of tears I was on my way. I sat on the plane wondering if this was really what I needed, to completely cut myself off from my old life and immerse myself in work.

But there really was no turning back now.