yellow

Rainy days reminded me of you

     Rainy days reminded me of you. Usually you + I would run around in the yard + goof off, but it wasn't the same without you with me.

     I sat around one rainy afternoon + listened to music on my phone before a text message popped up.

diner girl
     Hey! Wanna hang out?

me
meet me at the diner in ten?

diner girl
     Sounds grand :)

     She walked in + I thought I stopped breathing. Actually I probably did. Her dark hair was stuck up in all directions + she wore a big rubber coat with clunky boots, yet she managed to look stunning.

     Her bright eyes met mine + she grinned.

     Before I could even speak, she grabbed my hand + dragged me outside.

     "What are we doing?" I tried to yell over the rain.

     We were now nearing the park, "Follow my lead!"

     I watched as she ran + jumped as hard as she could into a puddle, + the water splashed higher than her height.

     Laughing at how childish it seemed, I followed her lead, only to slip + fall. In the process, I managed knock her legs out from under her. She landed next to me + I instantly reacted to see if she was okay.

   "You dork! You're supposed to wait until I move!" She playfully scolded.

     We both burst into laughter, cracking up until our chests ached. Her entire body was covered in mud, + my hair was matted to my head in a big mess.

     Despite all the gray mud, I realized her coat was a bright yellow, just as your dress at the funeral was.

     But instead of recoiling, my heart bursted at how radiant she looked, + yellow became my favorite color on her.