Chapter II

My mother and father were brave people, constantly looking death in the eye. They did devilish things, like riding top thrill roller coasters and attempting to drive in drag races. Me, on the other hand, absolutely despised getting into bad circumstances.

My sister Ravenna didn't mind getting in trouble, but I was a goody-two-shoes, constantly reading books and complimenting people. I guess that's why as soon as I walk into the school, a wave of girls fly toward me.

My eyes widen in shock before I back up, aggressively shaking my head that their bombarding questions. I hear so many, all revolving around the name "Caleb". Caleb? As in Caleb Bunks? As in my school's hottest, most famous, the bad-ass, football jock?

"Cassie! Is it true?" One girl shouts.

"Is what true?" I looked to see a girl from sophomore class pushing some other girls back. I feel like I am a celebrity and these high school girls are my paparazzi.

"Is it true that Caleb Bunks likes you?!" Another girl squeals. My arm gets pulled again. I instantly snap my head to the side to just smile as I recognize my best friend. Ruby narrows her eyes at all the girls, an obvious warning sign.

"Back off," she hisses to one girl still hovering too close to me for comfort. "Whatever you heard, it isn't true."

"She slept with--" A daring girl starts to objects. Ruby sends the daring girl a glower that has my back bristling. Everyone takes a step back. Ruby can be partially scary sometimes.

With her nose ring, eyebrow ring, and a lip ring, Ruby is known as the "badass girl" of my school. And she knows it, which is why she wears leather and black pants almost every day to school. I even heard one nerd in out class was afraid of her. He's got nothing to be afraid of, honestly. The only way Ruby can be mean to you is if you get on her bad side, and even then, it's hard to do.

I met Ruby about three years ago when we sat together in History. We were outcasts, so whenever group work was mentioned, we were paired together since we were the only ones left. We didn't mind though. We got along well. Soon after we worked together three times, she invited me to her house and I fell in love with her dog and her grandmother's famous cookies.

It didn't matter to me that her hair always seemed to smell like coconuts, I immediately loved her and she loved me. Hence the reason we are the best of friends.

Ruby tugs me away from the group of girls who look like they just saw a celebrity. I realize why when my gaze lifts to find Caleb Bunks walking into the school. He wears a tight button-down shirt that's pulled up to his elbows and his blond hair is curling over his forehead quiet stylish-y. Overall, my mouth waters when I see him. I swear Caleb is the best looking guy in the world, his biceps built to perfection from throwing big oval balls every day. His skin shines a warm color from basking and practicing in the sun. I can only imagine what his chest looks like if it's that lean and his pecs poke out that much in that shirt.

"What is happening?" I ask Ruby when I get ahold of myself and turn my gaze to her. Ruby glances behind me before hurriedly walking away from Caleb.

He must've noticed me.

"Apparently there's a rumor." I raise an eyebrow, asking for more. "That you and Caleb slept together and he now likes you."

"What?" I cry, my voice rising to extreme levels. People turn around, alarmed at my shout at their lockers, but turn back with an eye roll when they see Ruby slap a hand with six rings on my mouth. My eyes widen above her hand. "You mean people think that Caleb Bunks likes me?" I scrunch my eyebrows together in question.