Chapter Six

Class the next morning is tense, to say the least. Although, I'm not sure whose side it's on more: mine or the professor's. I've kept my head and eyes down since the moment I walked into the room, unwilling to risk the knowing look I'll see in his eyes if I do.

I spent all night thinking about what happened in that darkened room and I know it was a mistake. I should have turned around and walked back out the second I laid eyes on him, but the temptation was too much. Now, I have to face what happened between us in the light of day, where secrets like ours become painfully transparent.

Despite how hard I have worked to keep the two sides of my world separate, they've collided in a way known for its total destruction. This isn't some J.Lo, Maid in Manhattan movie. It's a real life rush hour pile-up of epic proportions, and I can tell by the suffocating way the room closes in on me that it's going to require the Jaws of Life to get me out of this mess.

Even as I contemplate how I'm going to extract myself from this situation, I know my options are limited. This is the only Art Comp class on campus, and Professor Scott is the only professor in employ. Unless I want to change my major and completely derail all the plans I've spent the last four years working toward, then I have to suck it up and stay the course.

I've felt Professor Scott's eyes on me throughout the hour. My unwillingness to lift my eyes from my notebook and participate in the discussion may translate to my not paying attention. The reality of it couldn't be more opposite. I am painfully aware of every second that ticks by, of every deep-throated word that passes over his lips. I could recite every single thing he has said, I am that focused.

I also know right down to the second when the dismissal bell will ring. When it does, I'm out of my seat so fast, that Annie doesn't stand a chance of catching up. I can't help it. I need air. I need distance.

This pattern continues the rest of the week. It spills over into work. I find myself watching every shadowed corner, my insides a twisted mess, because I don't know whether I want to see that imposing figure lurking about or not.

But Professor Scott doesn't try to engage me in class, and he doesn't show up at the club. The week passes by without incident, and I begin to relax. No doubt, he feels just as off-kilter as I do. What happened between us is the kind of thing that causes scandals. It's what gets people fired from their job. For both our sakes, we need to forget that night—and every other night—ever happened.

I walk into DJ's, a bar located just off campus and search the crowded room. I'm supposed to meet Annie and a small group of our friends for drinks. I've been looking forward to it all week. The need to unwind and have some fun has stretched my nerves thin, and I feel about ready to snap. After the week I've had, this couldn't have come at a better time.

Spotting our group at a table close to the stage where a local band is playing a cover of Weezer's Back to the Shack, I wend my way through the crowd. My smile stretches ear-to-ear when I spot Annie sitting at the head of the table, her cheeks already flushed from the beer she holds in her left hand.

Approaching from the side, I hook her around the neck and pull her in for a hug before she can register it's me. Her screech of surprise is short-lived, and then she is popping out of her chair to embrace me. "You made it!"

"You're drunk!" I hold her away from me, laughing as I take in her glassy eyes and flushed cheeks.

Annie wags her finger at me as we both sit down at the table. "Tipsy, not drunk. You can't get drunk off one beer."

I raise my brows. "If you say so, doll. So, where's your boy toy?" I glance around the table, seeing no sign of Jason.

"He's going to be late." She rolls her eyes. I can see why the party started without me.