Chapter Sixteen

The good thing about having a job that allows me to afford a place off-campus is having privacy. Ransom ends up spending the night with me over the weekend, which quickly becomes every night the following week. None of which would be possible if I had to worry about sneaking him out of my room every morning. We're spending so much time together outside of class and work now, that I'm not sure how I will ever be able to go back to sleeping alone. He's taken up space in my bed like he's taken up space in my lungs. If we go back to how things were before, I worry I won't be able to breathe without him.

We've also become dedicated running buddies. Between that and our morning sexcapades, I'm getting more cardio than I ever got dancing on a stage. We may not be like an ordinary couple, able to go out and be seen together, but I feel like we're in a good place.

Ransom is different with me—a good different. I still catch glimpses of his dominant side, but his flair for passion has changed. I don't pretend to know what caused it, but he's gentler now, sweeter. He treats me with care, even when he's ravaging me. We talk now, too, which was something we staunchly avoided in the past. I have to say, I'm enjoying learning about Ransom Scott, and I think he's enjoying learning about me. I don't care to know the why of it. I just want to soak it up while I can. I'm living minute to minute, in case the dream ends.

It's Saturday and instead of meeting my friends for drinks, we're watching a program about the history of the cosmos, lying in each other's arms. This is the best kind of day—laying around, doing absolutely nothing but enjoying being in each other's company. Ransom has been quiet all afternoon, another thing he does from time to time. When he's quiet like this, I know he has something on his mind.

My thumbs trace over his strong forearms that are wrapped securely around my waist, following the map of thick veins as I watch stars collide on screen. I swear these programs could make a person go insane. Everything is a doomsday scenario. But I'm more concerned with whatever is going on in Ransom's head than my possibly imminent death.

"You're thinking pretty hard there, champ," I say to distract myself from the morbid thoughts circling in my brain. "Feel like sharing?"

His chest rises up and falls back down heavily, and he gives me a little squeeze. "I was just wondering what you might say if I invited you to come to dinner with me at my parents' house next week."

I twist in his arms to look at him. "I thought we were keeping us quiet for now."

His dark eyes pool with confliction. "I know, but we won't be on campus. Technically, we wouldn't even be going out in public."

"But a dinner with your parents? Why now? Why not wait until, I don't know after I graduate?" When it's safe, I add mentally. When I'm not just the student trying to earn an easy A by sleeping with her professor.

Slipping out from behind me, I roll onto my back as he positions himself above me. I wrap my legs around his hips and stare up at him, momentarily stunned by his beauty. Ransom's long, dark lashes are enviable, as are his flawless skin and perfect mouth. I still can't believe I've caught the attention of a man like him.

Brushing my hair behind my ears, he says, "My parents don't have to know the circumstance of our relationship. They just want to meet you."

"Oh, my God, you told them about us?" I'm floored and a little horrified. I only just told Annie, and the only reason for that was because she caught us red-handed. If she hadn't been standing on the other side of the door that morning, she would still be operating under the assumption that I wanted nothing more to do with him.

"Only that I had met someone. My brother is coming to town next week, and they're having a little dinner for him. They want me to bring you along."