Chapter Twenty

Being alone isn't my strong suit. I've always made sure that someone is there to keep me from losing myself in my thoughts. It's not a design that I follow on purpose, but more of a survival instinct. I need someone there to catch me if I fall. That's why I finally decided to pull up my big girl panties and return Annie's calls.

She's surprised to hear from me. Of course, she is. I've been blowing her off ever since she told me she was moving out of state. If she knew why I was calling her now, she'd probably tell me to take a long jump off a short bridge. A certain amount of guilt comes with that. Knowing that I am essentially using her to keep me from doing something even more stupid, like asking Ransom to take me back.

We're curled up on the country blue sofa in Annie's living room facing each other. She's wearing a soft white, fuzzy sweater that looks like someone skinned Sasquatch and black skinny jeans, and she's glowing.

"I'm really happy you're here," she says for the tenth time since I walked through the door.

"Me, too," I say honestly. I've never felt more at home than I have with this girl. She's my soft place.

Her nose grows red at the tip and profound emotion tears across her face. "I really missed you this last week."

I clear my throat and shift in my seat. I'm no good at heartfelt moments, but for her, I'll give it a shot. It's the least I can do. Reaching down deep, I hunt for the right words and lay them out between us.

"Listen, Annie. I want you to know that it was wrong of me to shut you out like I did. I hate myself for pushing you away over something that is important and life changing for you. If anything, you needed my support, and I was too self-absorbed to set my own insecurities aside and be there for you.

"I know an apology will never be enough, but it's all I've got, and I hope you'll accept it."

She smiles sweetly. It's the only kind she's ever had. Her eyes well with tears an instant before they start falling down her now ruddy cheeks. "You're in my apartment, aren't you?"

Throwing herself across the single cushion dividing us, she pulls me into a choking hug. I guess that's her way of telling me that I'm forgiven. I hug her back fiercely and take a relieved breath, because I was so close to losing this person that I need in my life.

Several minutes have passed by the time she pulls away and settles back on her side of the sofa. We both have to wipe our cheeks and touch up the makeup that has spread beneath our eyes, but it feels as though a tremendous weight has been lifted off my chest.

"I was never mad at you, you know," Annie says as she wipes her nose with a tissue. "I understand why you were upset. I kind of hit you with the news out of nowhere and Jason is involved and..."

...and I have an extreme dislike for Jason. The words are left unspoken, but they don't have to be for me to understand her meaning.

She waves her hand in the air and rolls her eyes at the ceiling. "Anyway, there's nothing to forgive. You're my sister from another mother. We fight, we get angry with each other sometimes, but we'll always be sisters."

That's always been our motto. I don't know how I could have forgotten that, but I'm glad she reminded me. It means we'll always have each other's back. Even when we're alone, we'll never truly be alone, and that is a security in life that no amount of money can buy. "Right, well, I'm still happy we're okay."

"Me, too, J." She sits up, her expression lightening. A wide smile that shows all of her teeth emerges and when she speaks, her whole body is animated. "Oh, you have to see this." Getting up, she dances away.