Chapter Twelve

Music hums from the two-story colonial as Annie and I make our way up the sidewalk. People spill from the open door onto the large porch and into the front yard. After pulling a short shift after class, I'm ready to party.

Our usual fare is to meet up with friends at a bar, get shitfaced, and sing bad karaoke, but tonight is different. Brody and his Greek brothers are elevating a few lucky pledges to full members of the fraternity, and it's a cause for celebration. So, here we are.

The moment we cross the threshold, I'm questioning the wisdom of being here. Half the student body seems to have crammed itself into what is probably a normally large space. Total chaos appears to be the theme they've gone with. Random panties and bras hang from lampshades and chandeliers. A girl crouches in the corner, emptying her stomach into a potted plant. There's a guy walking around with a trash bag, his attempt to keep some kind of order feeble at best—he must be a pledge.

Someone shouts, and then everyone erupts into excited cheers. Annie and I try to make ourselves small as the crowd parts down the middle and a group of guys wearing togas race by, blasting each other with water balloons.

The place is a zoo. Annie and I share a look. "I'm going to get something to drink."

"Jason said he was here. I'm going to go see if I can find him."

"Okay. I have my phone on. Text me if you need me." That's our plan. Whenever we find ourselves in a scene like this, we keep our phones on. If one of us gets into trouble, or just needs to check in, we're only a text or call away.

Annie's expression is strained as she walks away. I watch her go until the crowd swallows her, and then I head for the kitchen. It's located at the back of the house, and when I get there, I let out a low, appreciative whistle.

Someone meant business.

The kitchen is fully stocked. There's a baby pool set up in the middle of the floor and it's packed full of ice and a variety of bottles and cans. There's also a keg, and beyond that, a collection of mixers.

There's a line for the keg, and there're too many people collecting at the counter, so I grab the first thing that touches my fingers from the pool. It's a cheap strawberry wine cooler, but I like strawberries and as long as it contains alcohol, then it'll do the job.

My first drink disappears fast and I collect another one before I start searching the house for Brody. I find him in the basement playing football on a large screen television with three other guys. There are girls everywhere, littering the floors and backs of the furniture. When they see me coming, a couple of them eye me with suspicion.

I recognize their type immediately. They're like buzzards, hovering on the outskirts, hoping a few scraps will be tossed their way. When I lean over the back of the couch and wrap my arms around Brody's neck, I catch the eye of a girl standing across the room.

She's pretty, with blonde hair, light eyes, tall and skinny—the total opposite of me. Her glare would be piercing if I gave a damn, but I don't. When Brody tilts his head back and realizes it's me, his smile is so brilliant, everyone in the room vanishes.

"J, you made it!"

Jumping to his feet, he spins and grabs me around the waist. With both of his massive arms, he pulls me over the back of the couch. I scream in surprise, gripping his shoulders for dear life, but then he's crushing me against his muscled chest, and I have to concentrate all my energy on breathing.

"Did you get anything to drink?" he asks, pointing to a table littered with unopened beers. Apparently, the floor is where the empties go.

"Dude, you just got sacked!"