Chapter 6: Web of Lies

Natasha's pov:

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I ask through my earpiece as I walk up the steps towards the CIA headquarters in New York.

"Yes. It's the only lead we have on Black." Steve replies. He's still in the field, along with Clint looking for our little renegade.

"So, we're taking advice from a criminal." I mutter. I can practically hear the eyebrow raise when Clint answers.

"And where exactly did you start out? Come on. Black told us to search a specific file. Aren't you curious to see what's in it?"

I sigh and run a hand through my red hair. "Fine. But this is a waste of time. Let me know what you guys find."

"Right, same with you. Good luck." Cap. replies. I smirk as I head for the door.

"It's never about luck."

When I walk in, I notice that the CIA isn't too different from SHIELD in the way it's set up. First floor is the lobby, not many agents here. Probably a whole lot of computers, as well as people, on the floors above and below. Only a stern-looking receptionist and a graying man that looks like he has a stick shoved up his ass are standing by the front desk. The man turns to look at me with cold, dark eyes.

"General John Marks. Can I help you with something?" he introduces himself. Oh, so he's head honcho here.

"Agent Natasha Romanoff from SHIELD. Director Fury sent me, requesting a file." I say, flashing my badge. Might as well be blunt. Whatever Black's bullshit is, I don't want to spend too much time on it. She's clearly trying to distract us. Besides, the CIA is on our side.

Marks and the receptionist exchange glances. The middle-aged man nods to her, almost an unnoticeable gesture. But I am trained to detect things like that.

"Of course. Right this way, Agent Romanoff." Marks says, beginning to lead me off. And that foreboding feeling sets in. Something isn't right. And my thoughts are confirmed when I tell Marks which file I'm looking for. He stops mid-stride and turns to me wearing a neutral expression. But I can see the fear in his eyes.

"That file is restricted. I am sorry, but you are not permitted-"

"And what exactly do you want ne to tell the Director? That his request was denied by a lower-ranking officer?" I retort, my tone steely. And I've got him. Marks knows it, too. Hardening his jaw, the General leads me off.

I soon figure out that K31 is a video file. I watch the screen as the video is played back.... and it's the same exact one as HOPE gave us, showing Tatum killing her teammates. But the thing is.... the file says that Tatum was taking down a group of terrorists that were trying to bomb a subway station in Manhattan.

"What the hell?" I murmur. I then hear a click from behind me. I turn to see Marks pointing his gun at my head.

"I am truly sorry, Agent Romanoff. But I am afraid you will not be leaving the premises." Alright. So.... all of this was one big web of lies. The CIA wants Black dead, as well as me at the moment. Meaning they're against SHIELD as well. And Marks is definitely hiding something.

Marks tells me to put my gun down. So, what do I do? I take out my Widow's bite and stun his sorry ass before he knows what hit him. One of the agents must have seen, because alarms are going off. Perfect. I run through the halls, back towards the, exit. Several armed agents take aim and I dive into a door frame to avoid being shot. I then return fire, taking out five of them. Once I'm relatively in the clear, I slip out from the doorframe and kick an agent in the head before dodging a knife being swung at me. I jump and kick an agent in the chest with both feet, landing on my hands instead of hitting the ground. I then push off the white linoleum floor using my palms and wrap my legs in a choke-hold around an agents neck. I twist and cause him to fall to the ground, hopping off of the fool before I hit the ground. Now the corridor is filled with either unconscious or dead agents.

I hurry down the hallways, having memorized every possible escape route on the way here. Call it a habit. I take out any agent in my way and avoid being shot once or twice. The receptionist even tries to put a bullet through my head, so I quickly snap her neck. Whoops.

I run down the stairs, beginning to wonder if Black is really the badguy. How did HOPE get the video file from the CIA? And why was it put out of context. I slowly begin to realize that the pieces are about to fall into place.

"Nat, do you copy?" Clint asks through my earpiece.

"Yep." I reply, continuing to run as a few other agents begin to fire at me.

"What did you find out?" Cap. asks. I duck under a car to avoid a bullet. Sprinting out from behind cover, I head towards my car.

"Well... not exactly what we expected."

I then fill them in on what went on, and they're just as stumped as I am. I slide into the driver's seat of my car and start it, pulling off from he curb with tires screeching. The CIA may be following me.

"Did you get anything?" I ask as I weave in and out through busy, rush-hour traffic as fast as possible. I hope they've got something. Because none of this is making sense.

"Blood and a picture." Steve replies.

So, this is a bit of a short chapter. What do you think? Let me know :)

-Vega8282