Chapter 8: Flipped

(Alright, so the pov will shift a lot during this chapter. Just bear with me!)

Clint's pov:

My eyebrows furrow in confusion, as I stare at Bruce. "What do you mean by "not quite"?" I ask. The scientist sighs, taking a seat across from us at the table. First indication that what he's about to way is complicated.

"Well, her DNA isn't normal. Our little Renegade has altered chromosomes...... She's a mutant."

Steve and I exchange glances. We had our suspicions.... and now this confirms them.

"Alright...... So what can she do?" Cap. asks. I have to say, I'm curious myself.

"Well, when I said she wasn't quite human, I meant it literally. Black has the DNA of an animal as well, a cheetah, to be specific. She's a shapeshifter."

My eyes are wide at this new information. A freaking cheetah. Of course.... It makes sense now. The super-speed and agility. Why Black is so tall and skinny... And it's a bit intimidating. But we've faced a god, even an army of aliens set on destroying earth. We can take down one shapeshifting mutant. Right? I try to push aside the thought that Black handed our asses to us, twice. But that's just it....

"What if she's not the one we should be worrying about?" I think aloud. "Black hasn't blatantly tried to kill us. Or anyone else. She's only taken down HOPE operatives. What if... What if there's more to the picture?"

Steve looks up at me, jaw hardened.

"That's just it. There is. And that's what you're going to have to find out.

............

Having arrived in Atlanta, I make my way through the streets until I find the address on the back of the photo. But there's no house. Only an old cement foundation, tinged black in several spots. Standing in the overgrown grass of what used to be the front lawn of the house, I can't help but wonder what on earth happened.

"Are you looking for something, sir?" a female southern voice asks from behind me.  I turn to see a woman standing in the faded, worn driveway. She must be a neighbor. "Yes. The Blacks, the family that lived in this house. "Do you know what happened to them?" I ask.

The blond woman raises an eyebrow, crossing her arms. "You mean you haven't heard? They died. The house burned to the ground. A true shame. They had just moved here, and I liked them quite alright. Left an eight-year-old girl behind." Alright. I hadn't expected that. Eyebrows furrowing, I look from the woman to the remains of what used to be a home.

"The girl. Do you remember what her name was?" I ask. Might as well verify it. The middle-aged lady takes a minute to think of it.

"It started with a T.... Tatum, I think it was."

Tatum's pov:

Finally. I have it. The hard drive with every dirty little secret HOPE has is in my hand as I escape through the back entrance. It went relatively smoothly... which is odd. HOPE must have known I was coming for them... But I got in and out without a scratch. I had to knock off a couple of agents who got in my way, but the whole thing was easier than it should have been.

Now I know why.

Several gunshots go off behind me, and I press myself against the side of a buildings. I hear civilians screaming and see some scattering. Well. The Welcome Wagon has arrived. Even though it's late. I feel anger and pure stubbornness building within me. They're not going to kill me now. Not when I'm so close. I'm not going down, I don't give a damn about how many bullets they put in me. This is my mission. And if I die completing it, then so be it.

I swing myself up onto a rickety fire escape and climb until I get to the roof of the building. Staying low, I approach the edge and look over the cement ledge. What I see next makes my breath catch in my throat. Luke Powers, head of the HOPE operatives, is pointing a gun at an innocent young woman.

Steve's pov:

I am riding my motorcycle down the streets of Orlando, when a familiar voice comes in through my communicator. "Cap, I've got something that might interest you." Clint says. I park my bike on the curb and press a finger to the device.

"I'm listening."

"Well, for starters, Black's family is dead. They were killed in some freak fire a while back, when Tatum was young."

I nod to myself, pursing my lips. That can't be all, if Clint thought it was important enough to tell me.

"And?"

"And her parents were employed by HOPE. Scientists and genetic engineers. I did some digging, and found a buried court case. HOPE was accused of having links to their deaths."

Okay. That was new.... and changes things. But only a bit. I still have no idea what side Black is on.

"Why would they kill their own employees?" I ask, puzzled.

"Who knows? Maybe they didn't follow orders, or refused to do something. So, they could have decided to... dispose of the problem before it got messy."

I sigh, pinching the bridge of my nose. This is getting way too complicated.

"Alright, so Black has a motive."

"Exactly."

I set my jaw and climb off my bike. Enough of this. It all ends today. One way or another. Either Black's in the wrong, or HOPE is.

"Alright, I'm going to scope things out. I'll keep you posted."

I walk down the street towards the HOPE building. What I find is the last thing I expected. Luke Powers is holding a gun on a random civilian. His agents are hefting guns, scanning their surroundings for any sign of their target. I watch quietly, thinking better of jumping in right away.

"Tatum Black. This is your final chance. Abandon this foolish, impossible task. You can't win."

No response. I shift uneasily. What the hell is going on here? HOPE, a do-gooding orginization is threatening the lives of innocents? This makes absolutely no sense.

Powers grows impatient, a crazed glint in his cold blue eyes. He clicks off the safety.

"Let's play a little game, shall we? Hand over the drive and disk, now. Or I will put a hole through this nice young woman's head. Tell you what, I'll even be generous. Give yourself up by the count of five, and she lives." The woman is trembling, tears streaming down her face.

"Please, no." she begs, voice shaky and full of fear. Powers' lips curl up into a cruel smile as he raises the gun. I prepare to act, in case Black doesn't make her move.

"One."

This isn't right.

"Two."

Why is this all happening?

"Three."

What does this mean about HOPE, and even Black?

"Four."

I crouch down, about to spring out from behind cover.

"Five."

My heart pounds wildly in my chest.

Powers shakes his head, sighing.

"How disappointing."

He pulls the trigger.... And everything is flipped in an instant. Because the bullet doesn't hit the civilian.... It hits Black.