Chapter 25

Kate's Pov;

Ana walks in front of me, leading me on a tour of the enormous apartment. I can see the differences clearly between Christians taste and her own. I can tell exactly which items would've already been a part of Christians apartment and which things Ana put here when she moved in making it her home. The contrast between them is hard to miss, but somehow they fit together. Two opposites coexisting perfectly. I stop mid stride in the hallway when Ana either purposely or accidentally skips a room on the far end. "Wait, what about this?" I ask, looking to the closed door. "Um..uh.." Ana splutters, trying to find something to say, but when no words come out, I open the door myself to cure my own curiosity. Ana's jaw drops when I open the door, yet she's still speechless. I don't understand what her shocked expression is about until I actually look inside the room. Then it hits me. This is the room. The red room. The one where the root of her troubles with Christian began. The playroom. Ana has been tied up and fucked and abused in ways I can't even fathom in this room. My heart drops into my stomach as I take one cautious step inside, then another. I see the rack of belts first, then the bed, then an array of objects I can't put a name to. Ana steps in too, seeming to see everything for the first time all over again, seeing it through my eyes. I come to a stop by the bed and I imagine Ana in it with him. I imagine her on her knees on the cold floor, waiting for him. I imagine the thrill she must feel when takes away her sight, her hearing, only allowing her to feel him. I must be so dull in comparison. I glance back at the belts and another image surfaces. One of her bent over the table, taking a punishment she did nothing to deserve, striping away her dignity. I could never do the things he's done to her. When we leave the room, I'm secretly relieved to do so. That part of her life is not something I want to dwell on. I'd rather focus on the here and now, on us, not on them. 

We have dinner made by Christians house keeper, then we head up to their bedroom for the night. When she invited me over I half-way assumed she would have me sleep in the other bedroom, but now I realize that would have been pointless. She doesn't want me here as just a friend. I use her bathroom to freshen up, the one connected to the bedroom, and as I do so I'm aware of the sound of her stripping out of her day clothes and shuffling through the dresser for something else. When I return in my own night shirt and sweats I instantly feel overdressed. The sight of her sitting cross-legged on the bed two wine glasses in hand, dressed in a silky camisole and matching boy shorts, is not one I'll soon forget. I join her on the bed and take a wine glass from her,  stopping to admire the picture above us. When Ana's eyes leave the painting and connect with mine, I reach out for her, leaving the only half drank glass of wine on the table. We kiss deeply, as Ana's hands slip around my waist. Sometimes I feel as though my love for her is completely hopeless, that she could never ever feel even a fragment of what I feel for her for me. When we kiss that doubt goes away. I am reminded how she feels about me, when she touches me this way, and kisses me so sweetly. Her actions show me how she feels in a way words never could. Then her phone rings and our moment is cut short. "Christian. Hi." She picks up the phone, her voice breathless from our kiss. She smiles at me, apologetic. I laugh soundlessly, shaking my head at her. She tells him a short summary of our night, then she says goodnight to him. Then, taking Ana and I both by surprise, he asks her to hand me the phone. I don't say anything, I just hold the phone up to my ear. Somehow he knows It's been successfully passed to me. "Goodnight, Katherine." He uses my full name, my formal name, but somehow there's a personal note to his voice. "Goodnight, Christian." I say, then there's silence. I hang up, knowing that was the extent of what he had to say to me. Ana climbs back into my arms and I turn her over on the bed, straddling her, as my fingers slide inside of her. She pants my name, encouraging me to keep going. I look down at her beautiful face, now pink with a fresh blush. Her brows are furrowed in concentration, eyes closed with pleasure, lips parted slightly. I take each of Ana's legs in my hands, holding her by the ankles, and toss them up onto my shoulders. She wraps them securely around my neck as she leans her head back onto the pillows. I bury my face down into her, my tongue circling her clit. I lick up the wetness as it comes, tasting her musky sweetness. I feel her hands lightly caress my hair, then her touch disappears entirely as she begins to pulsate beneath my tongue. She screams my name over and over again, bringing moisture between my legs and a feverish edge to my lovemaking. I want her so badly, even when I have her, It never quite feels like enough. I want her to be all mine, not just partly. I don't want to share. "Say my name again!" I command. "Fuck...Kate...Ah!" Ana moans, her entire body shaking from the intensity of a building orgasm. When she recovers, we go again, and again. Then she falls asleep in my arms, both of us satisfied and sleepy. I stroke her hair until the steady soothing rhythm puts me to sleep.

We spend the morning together, making breakfast and getting ready for work, then after work we meet up again to go for drinks with José. Christian is still in Portland, he's not expected to be home until late tonight. "So, what have the two of you been up to?" José asks. It's a seemingly innocent question, but Ana still blushes beet red and begins to giggle like a school girl. I nudge her forearm under the table and José gives the both of us a funny look. "Oh you know, the usual." I quickly answer for the both of us even though I know his question was directed at Ana. Most of them are. I don't think he'll ever get over his crush on her. I suppose we have that in common. "How's the boyfriend?" He asks when Ana finally recovers herself. "He's good. He's in Portland right now actually. We uh, moved in together. That's been fun." Ana says and I see Josés face harden, displeased at the new development. "Don't you think it's too soon for that?" He asks and Ana looks uncomfortable. "I suppose a little...I..uh.." She mumbles, mostly to herself. I feel my phone begin to vibrate in my pocket for the third time in the last twenty minutes and I finally move to answer it. "Hello? Elliot what's going on?" I ask, hearing his voice talking to someone else on the other end. "Kate, finally! Look there's a problem I need you to get Ana over to the apartment now." The seriousness coming from someone who's almost never serious frightens me. "What's wrong?" I ask, genuine concern taking over my annoyance at his nagging phone calls. "It's Christian. There's been an accident." I gasp, my eyes locked on Ana's unknowingly calm face. Shit.