Chapter 22

(Y/N) was shoved towards the berg, her hand being taken out of Newt's. Attempting to fight against the guard was futile so she tried finding a way to get the help of the others, even if it meant screaming out Newt's name.

The boy called back out to her and tried to run after her but another guard grabbed onto him, keeping him from rescuing her. Chaos spread around the group as multiple Gladers, besides just (Y/N) and Newt, were caught by WICKED guards. That was until Thomas had an idea.

With an elbow to the guard's neck, Thomas was free from any retrains, his arms free to grab the weapon he was carrying. Showing off the bomb he was carrying, he screamed for the guards to release his friends.

The guards raised their guns at Thomas, ready to shoot him but Janson didn't want that. He raced forward and was able to calm the chaos enough that the guards lowered their weapons and he and Thomas could talk.

"You stand back! Everyone stand back!" Thomas screamed to keep Janson and the guards away from him.

The guards holding the kids had their attention on Thomas, most likely their curiosity getting the best of them to see what their boss would do. (Y/N) held onto the arm that was secure around her neck, eyes finding Newt's who were already on her.

"Let them go!" Thomas pointed in (Y/N)'s direction but he meant all of the kids the guards had taken. "Let them all go!!" He screamed louder but Ava stood her ground.

"You know I can't do that!" Thomas shook his head, like a thousand thoughts were racing through his head and shaking it might shake away all the bad ones. "Everything can go back to the way it was." Ava's words weren't working so she decided to hit lower.

"Thomas, do you really want all of them to die?" Thomas took a moment to glance at his friends.

"Listen to her Thomas," Janson tried adding, not like what he said would ever matter to them.

Slowly, the remaining male Gladers surrounded Thomas. It was both a symbolic act for supporting him but an act of suicide as they stood closest to the bomb.

"We're with you Thomas," Newt's voice cracked as he glanced back at (Y/N), who was already crying. A small smile curled on her face, letting him know she had already agreed with them well before they even took a step.

Now that everyone else could see what they were doing, they became panicked. Ava Paige was about to lose valuable assets and possibly cures while Teresa was about to lose the friends she cared about, even if she did betray them for the good of the many. A couple tried to argue but they had already made up their mind.

"Do it, Thomas," Minho pushed, ready to end the trials and the torture.

"We're not going back there," Thomas concluded, his hand lifting to show the button for the bomb.

Newt glanced back around at (Y/N), his eyes pooling as he saw her. She did what he did before and mouthed the words "I love you", only for him to repeat it a moment later. Her eyes closed and seeing hers, Newt closed his too. This would be the end for their book, the end of the Gladers and they were ready.

Everyone's eyes were pinched closed and the second before Thomas's finger pushed the button, the load announcement of a truck horn blasted through the camp. The attention was now on the truck barreling across the camp and plowing into the side of one of the bergs. It wasn't until the person jumped out just before it hit that they saw it was Jorge. But more importantly, it was a distraction.

As the berg fell over, the whirring blades sent a wave of debris to come flying at all of them. Most people ducked but in (Y/N)'s case, the guard hadn't moved and now had a large chunk of the blade impaled in his chest.

(Y/N) screamed and pushed the man off her before he could take her to the ground as he fell. Newt, who was ducking on the ground, looked up to see (Y/N) scooting back from the dead body before her. He had to get to her now.

The camp was sent into pandemonium, half the camp trying to get as far away as they could and the other was trying to fight their rivals. Regardless, guns were firing once again and people were running around without direction.

Thomas was still holding the bomb so he tossed it at a clump of WICKED guards and screamed for everyone to get down. Newt was in the process of getting up when Thomas pressed the button, causing him to fall back onto the sand. Once the dust cleared, he sat back up to look for his girl.

He found her fighting against another guard using a batton found to hit him in the head. He fell from her hard hit and she took a few steps around to look for someone, Newt most likely. When he saw another guard come up close behind her, he grabbed the gun from the holster of the closest guard and shot him directly in the chest. He shot a few of the guards that were in range and waited for (Y/N) to come running towards him, where the two of them could hide somewhere until this was all over.

However, that didn't happen. A guard had picked up one of the launchers and aimed it at (Y/N). She didn't have any time to draw up a plan to escape which left the guard more than enough time to shoot her in the stomach.

The pain this time felt ten times worse, somehow feeling it a second time tripling the pain. She fell forward, her legs giving out just like before but this time she didn't have anyone to catch her.

"(Y/N)!!" Newt screamed her name, watching her collapse lifeless on the ground and the guard picking her up like she was nothing. The guard carried her off, ignoring the screams and pleas from Newt as he ran after her. He lost her once in the scorch but she had Brenda. Now, she was being taken back to WICKED all alone and he was sure he was about to lose her for good.

Thomas had seen part of what happened but saw Newt try and run after her, essentially running in the line of fire. "No! No, Newt!" Grabbing his arms, Thomas stopped Newt from running into the berg and instead pulled him back towards a line of barrels they could hide behind. "They took Minho too! If we try to save them, they'll get us too!"

Newt heard that Minho was taken but all he wanted was to go and save (Y/N) before they took her away, before he lost her. He screamed her name more and more, even if he knew she couldn't hear him, and kept pulling against Thomas's arms. It took Thomas, Frypan and Winston to keep him from running away.

The berg's door lifted until it sealed itself, trapping everyone inside. The wind picked up as the berg lifted off the ground and made its way back to the WICKED compound. Newt could only watch as the berg flew away from the camp and (Y/N) became further and further away from him.