Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Do you feel alone?"

"Yes, but at least I feel something."

The video call with Deva seemed to last forever.

"You just wouldn't believe it," I said, her face on a screen in my room watched me pack my things.

"How does your mom feel about all of this?"

I hesitated and looked down, but shook my head and smiled to cover up my sadness. "It doesn't matter," I said. "I know she'll come around!"

"Kora-"

"I need a teacher!" I shouted.

A week had passed since the last time I saw Kylo Ren. The feeling of him using the force lit a spark in me, and I couldn't squander it. This was the first time in a long time that I was not scared of what I could do.

"Kora most people these days think the force is a myth, that Luke and Leia and Han were all a legend."

I shook my head again, "That doesn't matter either. I've seen them and that's proof enough. My grandmother has fought alongside Darth Vader!"

The call ended after she worriedly wished me luck, and we both said goodbye, her adding a mocking; "may the force be with you."

My eyes turned, looking around my lavender and grey room, the beautiful colors never felt so boring. My life here was nothing compared to the life I could have out there. Even though I never asked to be separated from what I'm already grateful for, I have to do this.

Slinging a bag over my shoulder I took each step slowly. Trying to absorb everything from this house, I had no idea when I'd be returning. My sister and mother stood there at the base of the stairs, watching me with tears in their eyes.

"Lazuli," I mumbled, looking at my younger sister and opening up my arms. My mother joined us in our hug, I took a deep breath when they pulled away. I had to be strong about this.

Suddenly I felt a gentle hand clasp my shoulder, I turned around, stunned. My grandmother stood there, her wrinkled face smiling.

"I always knew," she croaked out.

A single tear ran from my eye and I hugged her too.

Leaving was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I loved my family. I had to do all I could to protect them, a war is coming and I'm not going to be scared anymore.

=====

Grandmother Tano pointed me in the last known direction, the only place she could think of to possibly put me on track, The Republic. There were times when her senses would return, only in pieces and not for very long. When she left the army, she spent years to herself, doing what she did best. When life finally settled for her she left for Veranon and never looked back. She spoke often of her dear friend, turned great enemy. I realized then how my life mirrored hers.

I clicked on my watch and a map emerged from it, the trip would take me a couple days but I was prepared for it. The only ship I could find was an old one, something my father left with a friend when he walked out on my mother, pregnant with my younger sister. I can't really remember much about him.

I took a calming breath in through my nose, something about the ship smelled familiar. It had been a while since I piloted something. I was lucky enough to grow up with my grandmother by my side, what my mother didn't know, she did. I flipped on the aircraft and ascended, it was fast but by the looks of the controls, light speed seemed out of the question. I let the ship hover for a second, my mind flashed to my grandmother. On a ship like this, I sat in the driver's seat, fifteen years old, she sat next to me.