Chapter One

Chapter One

"It hurts when I do this," the patient said.

To which the doctor replied: "Than stop doing that."

Bridging with her mind was almost too simple. A game I had already won, an art I had already mastered. With the slightest focus, the smallest push of will, and I was there. Watching her, hearing her mumble to herself from time to time. Smiling with her, feeling the tugs of my heart, and a pit in my stomach when something would upset her. Yet unlike her, when she would get hurt I wouldn't feel that same level of disappointment. Unlike her, a rage would cascade over me. One would think entering her mind would be the difficult part, but it was staying out of it that I found most challenging.

Like right now, there I was. These were keen opportunities, she was so vulnerable and open she couldn't even feel me there. Her mind would not even alert her to a foreign presence. The hairs on the back of her neck would not stand up, a headache wouldn't throb at her temples. She was completely off guard as she ran her fingers through her wet hair. I became the water droplets running down her skin. Feeling the silk and the warmth of her flesh, she sighed as she combed her hair with her hands.

I could feel it on my own skin. The heat from the shower made me warm, my forehead misting from the stream of water. I reached out my hands, I had to feel her, had to wrap her in my arms. 

The clearing of a throat. "Commander," a voice called out. My eyes snapped open. I was in my room again, red lights illuminating my wet face. I could see myself standing there in the reflection of the glossy, dark granite walls. It was cold now, it felt so cold that I thought I would be able to see my breath. I wanted to be back, with her in the warm shower. I used the back of my ungloved hand to wipe the sweat from my face and rested my arms.

"What is it?" I asked.

"It's Leader Snoke, he wants a word with you."

I could tell by the voice it was General Hux. The weasley, jealous man.

It wasn't unlike Supreme Leader Snoke to want to speak to me this early in the day. I wonder if he had news on Skywalker, or better yet, news on her.

I reached for my tunic and slipped it on over my head. I dressed my hands with gloves and fastened my feet inside of my boots. Retrieving my mask from the nightstand, I passed by Hux on the way out of my quarters.

"I see. Next time, knock," I stated.

A part of me could always see through the facade Hux loved to create for everyone. He was weak. Jealous of my favor with the Supreme Leader while also being jealous of my power. Him being in charge of the troopers seemed to be the only thing that gave that man satisfaction and meaning. Commanding orders while fulfilling mine and Snoke's. It was as if he were a brother, that did not receive as much attention as I, he resented me for it. Even then, I would not deny the part of me that trusted him. Not for his loyalty to me alone, but to the First Order.

With a click, my mask was put over my head and I stood outside of Supreme Leader Snoke's door. I took a deep breath and entered the room. A hazy blue light filled the dark room, I kept my strides smooth as I walked toward him. The towering blue holographic version of him. Taking a knee I bowed my head,

"Leader Snoke."

"Kylo Ren," his voice boomed. "My trusted apprentice. I have a task for you."

There was a pause, I glanced up to his warped face and kept my mind clear,  any thought of her he would sense. Guilt enveloped me at times like this, I owed everything I had to the Supreme Leader. Yet this pull is always there, at the back of my mind. This same pull made me the slightest bit nervous to be around Snoke, could he sense it?