Chapter 9

Luke's P.O.V.

I'm fine, I'm fine. I don't need to drink. I don't need to drink. I can stay away from the bottle of wine on the table. I can stay away from the bottle of vodka I keep hidden in the furniture.  Today will be fine. No one will know I'm falling again. I can pretend everything's okay. Everything was fine yesterday and everything will be fine today.   Mr. Clifford came home early as he had to help my mother and me prepare meals for Thanksgiving. But since I was not able to cook other than pasta, it was more them than they cooked and I who cleaned the house.  I was arranging the table so that it appeared presentable to the guests. Maybe he'd distract them from asking me what had happened to me in the previous days.  "Luke, you have to stop stressing yourself." Mr. Clifford told me noting that I was walking back and forth to the room. "It will be all right."  He didn't know I'd hit Michael. He didn't know I was out to get drunk again.  "Yes, I'm sorry. I just want everything to be the best. " I lied, laughing nervously.  "Why? Some man to impress?" He joked by raising his eyebrow.  I mean, I had invited Sam but honestly I wasn't trying to impress him. You would be impressed alone only at the sight of a bottle of wine on the table.  "No, but I want everything to go well for Michael. It's his first Thanksgiving at home. " I said, and he seemed to understand me.  All of a sudden, Michael, Lauren and Lily went downstairs well dressed for the occasion.  "Lukey, we're done!" Michael smiled. "We were very good at cleaning."  "Well we were more us to clean." I heard Lauren murmur, making Lily chuckle.  "Oh, look at that hair! Mikey's are very handsome. " Said Mr. Clifford giving a hug to Michael. "Who thought of the color?"  Michael reciprocated the embrace. "Daniel! and Lukey dyed it."  My mother came in from the kitchen, and noticed the girls ' clothes. "Aw, you girls are really beautiful." He smiled, observing the equal pink clothes they wore.  "I have chosen them! And you always said I didn't know how to choose! " I chuckled, my mother rolling her eyes.  The doorbell rang and I went to open it, revealing a dried Ashton and very smiling Calum with a little dog in his arms.   "Hey Luke! Can we come in? " He said as he overtook me, then I moved his gaze towards Ashton, visibly confused.  "The damn dog hasn't stopped barking since Calum took it. And then it's always ' Ashton, look, Kiwi did this ' or ' Kiwi did that! ' and it's driving me crazy. ' Complained.   "Dad Look! Uncle Calum took a puppy! " I heard some squeals followed by the barking of the dog from inside the house.  "Well if you'll ever need a break then I'm sure here Kiwi will be welcome." I was joking about coming into the house with Ashton. The Labrador puppy sprang everywhere and everyone looked at him.  "Uncle Calum, what's his name?" She asked Lily by staring at the little dog.  "She's called Kiwi. Isn't she the most adorable little dog there is? " He chirped, the dog only barked.  And for another ten minutes they all played with the dog that barked, until the bell rang again. I thought it was Sam, and actually I was right. He had a bottle of wine in his hand and was dressed as elegant as usual.  "Hey, Luke! It's really good to see you when I'm sober." He joked, I was rolling my eyes.  "Just come in."

+ + + + + +
everyone seemed to adore Sam, which was good. Sam was really a nice person. It's when he started drinking a little too much that things started to plummet. The girls were busy playing with Kiwi while the rest of us had stayed to chat while it was finishing to clear.  Michael was next to dad on the couch, not too far from where me, my mother and Sam were talking.  "You know Liz, your son isn't bad at all when he's not drunk. He's usually nervous. " Sam's been angry. "The nervous Lukey is not my favorite lukey."  "Okay, I think you drank enough wine for tonight." I chuckled nervously by removing the glass of wine half empty from his hands.  "Come on, I didn't drink that much." He laughed, "Come on, Luke, you're never that boring!"  Everyone stopped doing what they were doing and staring at me. I already had some idea of what they were thinking.  "M--maybe you should go, Sam. I'il call you a cab or something. " Knowing he was too drunk to be able to drive.  I called a cab and helped him out; He kept babbling about the fact that I was sober, I wasn't funny until the car arrived.  I helped him up and then I went home, where everyone kept looking at me like before.  "Luke, honey, we need to talk." Said my mother in a serious tone. Oh, no. Oh no, oh no, oh no.