Dan's mom talked throughout the entire meal. She was kind and had amazing stories to tell. Phil talked too, he sounded sweet and unlike his normal self. Dan was silent, watching Phil, still confused.

He was confused about how Phil could be someone different then what he is at school. Confused about how he never noticed that Phil was gay. Confused as to how he could possibly be the mean one in this situation. Confused.

"Are you coming over tomorrow then?" Dan's mom aske Phil.

"I think I have to. We definitely are not done with the project."

"Wonderful! If you want to stay for dinner again then you can."

"That would be amazing." Phil checked his phone and his face went pale. "I don't mean to be rude but I forgot about something I had to do before I go home and I'm late. Thank you for the wonderful food Ms.Howell." Then he left.

Dan started at the door as it closed, still silent. Then, not saying anything, he got up, grabbed his coat, and followed him out the door.

Phil was already out of the driveway when Dan made it down his front steps. Something inside of dan told him to follow him. So he did.

Dan drove behind Phil hoping not to b seen. When Phil turned in to an empty parking lot, Dan turned behind the building it belonged to. He watched Phil get out of his car and walk towards another set of buildings and into an alley.

Dan stealthily crossed the parking lot, stopping in front of the building, before peering into the alley. Whatever he expected, it wasn't this.

Phil was spray painting a beautiful cartoon heart on to the brick wall with intense focus. The heart was very well done, it looked 3D and perfect. Dan continued to watch as Phil started to draw something inside if the heart. He seemed to be drawing an anatomically correct heart in one half.

Dan was amazed and in a complete trance as Phil delicately traced intricate lines over and over again. He had real talent.

"You know that's illegal right?" Dan asked coming out of the shadows.

"So is stalking."

"Sorry. Something told me to follow you and it was right."

"What are you going to call the police?" Phil kept working, not really caring about anything Dan wanted to do.

"I mean... that's vandalism... and illegal." Dan moved closer to Phil's artwork, admiring it closely. "I should call the police. But I won't"

Phil stopped spraying and moved the mask out from in front of his face. "The fumes can kill you you know."

Dan took several steps back. They were both silent for a long time. Phil painted, Dan watched. It was comfortable.

"I'm sorry." Phil said when he stopped painting again.

"Don't be. I know I'm a goody two shoes know it all. I get it a lot."

"Yeah but you're not doing anything wrong, quite the opposite. The one thing that bothers me though... is you never do anything fun."

"Yes I do, I play video games and dance by myself in the basement like a loser."

Phil smiled a little. "I mean nothing thrilling. Nothing to get your adrenaline pumping. You should try it."

"How?"

"Here." Phil pulled Dan over to him and put the mask around his face. He handed him the spray can and stood behind him. "Hold the can like this, and follow the lines that are already there."

Dan did as he was told and Phil helped guide his hands. Slowly Dan got the hang of it and he was tracing lines while Phil just stood pressed against his back.

When Dan finished, he took of the mask and smiled.

"What else can cause adrenaline?" He asked.

Phil slid his hands around Dan's torso, his fingernails scratching lightly. Dan shivered and turned to face Phil.

They looked at each other for what felt like the first time.

"This might." Phil answered. Then he kissed Dan slowly, waiting for permission to go deeper. When Dan's hands curled into Phil's hair, he took that as a sign to move faster.

The kiss got rougher and sloppier and Dan's knees grew week.

Phil picked Dan up and Dan wrapped his legs around Phil's waist. They pushed against the brick wall and continued making out.

Dan's curls were starting to slick to his forehead and they were both out of breath. When they pulled apart Phil laughed.

"What?"

"I accidentally pushed you against the paint. You're silhouette is printed into the other half of the heart."

Dan looked shocked and he put his hand to his back. He pulled his hand back and bright red paint was on his fi ger tips. He turned to the heart and gasped. Then he started laughing.

"It actually looks pretty good." Phil admitted. "Hold on."

He started spraying the outline of Dan's silhouette in black.

The art was beautiful and Dan was happy to be a part of it. They spent the rest of the night, sitting on the ground and admiring the work and eachother.

They were an interesting pair, but a pair nonetheless.