Chapter Seven: Allies of the Enemy

The sun rose a while ago, but I am still sitting here next to Smoke, just looking at the dim sky. Kombat will start soon, and I may be one of the fighters today. The beginning of my fighting means the beginning of my plan. Things will finally be set in motion.

“I’m still alive huh? Shocker,” Smoke says sarcastically over a yawn.

“Who the hell falls asleep on a roof anyway?” I ask, mocking his actions.

“People like me of course. Who wouldn’t?” he shoots back jokingly and turns to me.

I grin and giggle slightly at this then turn to face him.

“I may be one of the fighters for Outworld today…” I say in a low voice.

“Why, you sound as if you don’t want to fight,” Smoke says a little confused.

It’s like he read my mind. I don’t want to fight unless it’s with that bitch Kitana…the rest of the fighters are a waste of my time. Even being this Earth Realmer’s friend is a waste of time, but at least it’s a decent waste. This tournament is utterly pointless.

“It’s not that, it’s just--” the kombat gong interrupts me.

“Speaking of fighting,” Smoke looks at me. I stand and start to walk down the roof slowly.

“Where are you going?” Smoke inquires.

“To father’s side, he’ll expect me early today,” I say.

“That isn’t what I meant,” he says and walks down to me, placing his hand on my shoulder.

“What do you mean?” I ask confused.

“This is the easy way down,” he says before a medium cloud of smoke engulfs us both, and teleports us down to the first floor in what feels like a split second.

The smoke dissolves into the air as if it were never there as we stand in a currently empty hall.

“Oh, that was…” I pause not knowing what to call that.

“Amazing, I know,” he smirks under his mask.

“I had better get back to my forces, see ya in there Mileena,” Smoke says.

“Alright,” I nod as he vanishes into a puff of smoke again before my eyes.

I walk and turn the corner, making my way through the light crowd of fighters. I enter the room quickly, walking past the arena and to father’s throne chair. I join father at his side like usual, Kitana is also there. The sound of the drums hits the atmosphere strongly.

As usual I watch the same fighters enter the room. Our forces all have this smug and or confident look on their faces, while the Earth Realmers are more serious and blank. They are really determined. They should be, this is their last chance to be free of father.

“Daughters,” father says. We both turn to him quickly.

“Yes father,” we both say.

“Over the course of this day and the next, you will get rid of the rest of the weak peasants that follow under the Thunder God, and you will advance to the semi-finals. When we go to EarthRealm for the second part of the tournament, it will all be up to you. My powers will be taken temporarily by the Elder Gods to ensure I will not invade upon arrival. That means all relies upon this tournament. You will fight and bring me victory or the consequences will be massive. Understood?” his voice is harsh and stern, and I know failure is not an option.

“Yes father,” we both reply in unison.

Kitana looks over at me with eyes that said if we don’t win we’re finished. I shoot a devious look back. Either way, she won’t survive this, so she has nothing to worry about so far as father. I just turn and face the fighters entering the room. I spot the Thunder God walking in with Jax and the blonde woman I had seen a while back when I was training. Smoke also follows behind them.