Chapter Twelve: Inside the Realm

Smoke and I have been trotting through this forest for what seems like forever, discussing everything that comes to his and my mind. We are supposed to just find the damn cottage, but we somewhat lost track of the objective. Now it is just a walk through the Earth Realm woods. I never really heard him speak straight from his mind like now, and I have to say, it makes him sound much more interesting.

"I am in the clan known as the Lin Kuei, which I am sure you've heard of them from earlier at least," he is telling me more about himself.

It just kind of started out of nowhere; we are telling each other our deepest and inner secrets. Though I have not said much, I know I am bound to soon.

"Yes, stories tell that it is one of Earth Realm's most vicious clans," the legend of the Lin Kuei even reaches Outworld.

It is getting darker due to the sun setting, and the trees block most of what light we have left.

"That's a way you can put it, once they've dicovered Sub-Zero and I have gone, we'll be hunted down," Smoke says.

I pause our walking and turn to him with an intruiging glance.

"So you left the clan? I doubt they'll even come close to harming you, especially with the Thunder God lurking around," i reply.

We resume walking as he sends me an agreeing look.

"The man you fought, Sub-Zero, is also a member and a friend. We left the clan together in order to search for his brother's murderer, who we believe to be Shang Tsung," he adds, informing me of their relationship.

The sound of the grass beneath our feet seems to get slightly louder with each step, crunching the leaves and plants below our shoes.

"I see, but your abilities far surpass that of your comrade's. If anyone is able to take the sorcerer's life it is you," I say, keeping honest.

"Was that a compliment from Mileena? Oooh," Smoke joshes in a playful manner.

I giggle for a moment.

"Sometimes I even envy you," I admit.

Smoke stops walking facing me with slightly worried and confused eyes. He has obviously never heard this side of me, but when someone places their life on the line for you, you feel as if you can tell them anything, and that is exactly what I am doing.

"Why?" his voice is soft against the light wind that blows through the leaves.

"Because you belong," I speak clearly to get my point across.

"You belong to the friendly forces of this realm that meet every need of its people. You belong in this realm, and you belong in a mighty clan...you have something to bounce back to no matter what your fate brings..." my voice rings of slight regret and anger; anger that craves to be understood by someone.

However, no one seems to understand it even to this day.

"You are the daughter of an emperor Mileena, you will eventually rule over Outworld. You are special," Smoke tries to encourage me, but it only slightly works.

Father favors Kitana, which is another reason why she must die. If the throne is ever to be passed down, it will most likely be to her. I have known this for a while, and it crosses my mind every time I think of myself as an heir, for I am just as much of an heir as an Elder God is a mortal; not even close.

He comes to my side and places his arm around my shoulders as he beams downward at me.

"I can show you how much you can belong," he offers in all seriousness, yet kindness.