Chapter Thirteen: Real Kombat Begins

I open my eyes and look upward at Smoke whom which I lie on. His eyes are closed and his mask is still absent, allowing me to see all of his soft facial features. Mask. I sit upward and place a hand to my head, rubbing it. There is a strange pain in my head that is unknown to me, but not too horrid for me to fight if necesary. A few sand particles fall from my hair, joining the rest of the sand on the ground.

Last night I did something I know I should not have. Talking to an Earth Realmer is nothing, being an ally with one is frowned upon, but getting intoxicated and kissing one? I do not even want to begin to think about what father would do if he finds out, let alone Rain. Since when did I start caring so much about others' opinions? I never asked for any of this nonsense, I just want to murder my poor excuse of a sister.

I turn my attention to Smoke, watching him sleep. He lies there so innocently, so unaware. If he still had been an enemy, I would be devouring him right this second. His breathing is very steady and calm. I take this as a chance to reach down into Smoke's pocket gently, removing my veil so I did not wake him and place it back on my face, concealing my teeth. A pounding pain comes to my head again as I place my hand to it and let out a groan. It feels as if someone is impaling my cranium.

"You know, you really don't need that," Smoke says as I turn my attention to his face again.

His eyes remain closed, but it is evident he had been awake for quite some time. He must have been waiting for me to awaken.

"Pfft, silly EarthRealmer," I roll my eyes and stand, stretching.

Smoke sighs and remains where he is.

"Well while you were resting, this 'silly Earth Realmer' found your cottage," he mocks me, causing me to direct my attention to him once more.

His statement makes me wonder if he even slept at all.

"How?" I question. A smile creeps onto his face.

"Like this," a gray cloud covers his body and before I know it, he is standing behind me with his hands around my waist.

The sensation of his skin on mine makes me jump slightly. I remove his hands from around me swiftly and turn to face him.

"You are so full of yourself!" I snap with irritation, getting closer with clenched fists.

He lifts my chin with his hand.

"And you are so..." he advances closer, looking directly downward at me.

I never felt so small, or so desired before. Not even from Rain. Rain...I had not given him any thought as of late. What am I doing with this Earth Realmer? Everything and everyone he knows will soon be father's or dead. Though seduction has always been my strong suit, this doesn't seem much like it. It is lust, the screaming emotion inside of me that I cannot always control.

"So...what?" is all I manage to get out as I peer upward, getting lost in his brown eyes.

"So hung over," he teases.

I give him a punch to the arm and he pretends to wince in pain, a smile remaining across his face.

"It's your realm's fault not my own," I reply and start walking away heading into the forest.

"You were the one drinking," he says, followed by a giggle.

I pause and turn as he places his mask back on.

"Well you were the one who insisted on making me 'belong' in this wretched realm," I imitate his voice, making a valid argument.

"It worked though right?" he walks, catching up to me.