Clause I - Arrival for Departure

"You don't know how proud I am of you... You'll always be my favorite girl,"

"Grandma..." 

Evangelina, seventeen, brushed her long rose-gold hair as she sat in front of her vanity.

Her grandmother stood behind her and watched her get ready for her last day at her current school, Spiritus Prep.

Evangelina was in a typical school uniform with black pants today instead of a plaid skirt.

Evangelina was raised by her grandmother after her parents and sister passed away in a freak accident on a train back home.

They lived in a small apartment building that was already run-down and unfit, but they made it work.

The apartment only had two bedrooms, one very small bathroom, and an open kitchen that had barely any space to blend out into a living room.

Evangelina slowly put her hairbrush down onto the vanity desk and stared into her own hazel eyes.

"What if I don't fit in?" Evangelina asked, turning her smile into a frown.

"Listen, today is about today only. Make sure you let your friends know how much you love them and how much they mean to you," Evangelina's grandma told her, as her grandmother hugged her from behind.

Evangelina put her hair into a high half-ponytail and grabbed her book bag.

"That doesn't answer my question. I'm just scared that I won't be accepted or make any friends... What if my dorm-mates make fun of me?" Evangelina complained.

"You're going to be late. We still have tonight... Just remember what I told you! Today is about today only!" Evangelina's grandmother said as Evangelina walked through the front door.

Her grandmother took a seat on one of the chairs in the kitchen and shook her head.

"This child worries too much..."

The morning was grey, just like the city.

Melancholia was a grey and rainy city, located in the center of Helena.

Melancholia was surrounded by long railways and creeping skyscrapers, making the city seem full and busy from the outside looking in.

Unfortunately, so many people either lived in penthouses or horribly shaped apartments, making it one of the most divided cities in the world.

The suburbs were filled with large families that could barely afford to live there.

Surprisingly, it wasn't raining on Evangelina's trek to school.

There were hardly any cars on the streets because not many people could even afford cars; not even those that can afford the luxurious penthouses.

Evangelina eventually made it to school, only being ten minutes late.

Evangelina walked into her first class and was immediately put on the spot for being late.

"You're late miss Evangelina Adeline... But since this is your last day here, take a seat," The instructor announced, allowing Evangelina to sit at her assigned seat rather than stand in the corner of the class with her arms raised.

Theodora, one of Evangelina's friends, passed her a note on her desk and avoided making it obvious so they wouldn't get caught.

Evangelina immediately opened the note and read it before finishing her notes.

"Meet me behind the theatre at lunch instead of the table, I have something I want to give to you..."

Evangelina carried on with her day at school, attending boring lectures, and finding it hard to say goodbye to the familiarity of her home.