30. Speechless

Are you ready for it? xx

**

The rest of Sunday passed quickly, no doubt due to the fact that we'd slept until noon.

I'd gone into the kitchen just after 6pm to heat up some leftovers, and Harry had been seated on a bar stool, his computer and phone around him. As usual, he had lots to keep himself busy, and I was relieved when his phone rang, giving me an excuse to take my food upstairs.

"Hey mom!" I heard him say, just before he was out of earshot. His enthusiastic tone made me shake my head and smile... a mama's boy on top of everything. I should've known.

Mentally, I needed a break from his effect on me. He was alluring in a way that made me second guess my own actions. Every time he opened his mouth I was drawn to it, and I was annoyed just seeing myself so stricken by someone.

So, naturally, I closed myself off to him.

At this point, I knew it was a defence mechanism, and I definitely knew it wouldn't make my situation any easier, but the truth that I was running from was simple: Harry and I couldn't be a thing... at least not for long. We were too different, he was too sought after, and I knew having him would send my heart deep into the depths of his green ocean, anchoring me.

I wasn't prepared to need someone like that.

It made me wish I could read his mind. I wanted to know what he actually felt. He was flirty, of course, but that was second nature to him. What about the real stuff, the boring shit that came later? 

I was getting ahead of myself.

Two hours passed, and I took a deep breathe, putting down the novel I'd hardly made a dent in. I was thirsty, and my dirty dishes were sitting on the nightstand. Sighing, I got up, carefully rebuilding my composure to handle whatever charming crap he could come up with to throw at me

Descending the stairs, I saw Harry sitting on the bar stool in the kitchen with his back to me, exactly where I left him. He was still wrapped up in conversation with his mom, and I was amazed to hear the way they were talking... like friends. They even had inside jokes. It made me think of how these conversations might go if my Mother was still around. 

It would probably be the same. Maybe... 

Jealousy flared up inside me as Harry burst out into laughter. 

"I know, Mom. I know. Don't go doing anything crazy, I'll come see you soon." He promised. I took a deep breath as I came into his line of sight. I knew I was allowed to be envious of their relationship, but it wasn't his fault I didn't have that, and it wasn't fair of me to put that on him. 

I remember hearing kids in school talked about their parents, some days even having the nerve to label me lucky because I didn't have those problems. There was a special form of hate I could recall hearing them bitch and moan about their mom's wanting them to do chores, or their dad's making them run errands. Oh what I would've given... 

At least Harry wasn't like that.

Pouring myself a glass of cold water, I mouthed goodnight to him.

"Night." He whispered, throwing me a sly wink. Ugh.  

Heading back towards the stairs, I was just about to go up when the doorbell rang through the house. I looked at Harry, unsure if it was my place to answer his door. He just nodded a casual approval, still focused on his phone call.

I walked to the door and opened it, slightly surprised to see a gorgeous woman standing there. I hadn't seen her before, and she had the same surprised look, seeing me in plaid pajama pants and a tank top at his door.