Ellie

Dean was getting worse every day. Cas hated seeing him like this. He was trying to communicate with him, but no such luck. He still bought French toast with a side of bacon for breakfast. He never ate it. He was going to starve. But he probably didn't care.

Everyday, Cas was relentlessly trying to make Dean know he was there. He cried every now and then. Both of them did. He just wanted to hold Dean in his arms. Was that so much to ask? But one day, something happened. Cas was sitting next to the door when a young girl with long, dark hair wandered into his hospital room.

"Hello?" She called. Cas expected Dean to respond, but he said nothing. Cas knew it was pointless to say anything, as she wouldn't hear him. "Why can't anybody see me?" The girl asked nobody in particular.

"I know how you feel." Cas muttered. The girl looked at him in astonishment.

"Did you just...answer me?" She whispered. Cas looked up at her.

"Did you just answer me?" The girl smiled.

"Oh my god! Um, hi!" He stood up.

"My name is Castiel. And you are?"

"Oh, uh, Ellie," She held out her hand, Cas shaking it reluctantly. "So, what happened to you?"

"It's difficult to explain. What about you?"

"Car accident. I'm the only survivor, but I might not hold that title for very long," She chuckled. "So, who's that?" She pointed at Dean.

"That's Dean. Dean Winchester. Somehow, I fell in love with him." She looked at him.

"Oh, so you're...okay, got it." He tilted his head to the side.

"Got what?" Ellie giggled a bit.

"Never mind. I've got a boyfriend. Oh, god. I may never see him again. Not in person." Cas looked down at her. She was a head shorter than him. Tears rolled down her cheeks.

"I'm sorry. I'd bring you back, but I can't. Not in this state."

"What?" She looked up at him.

"I'm an angel of The Lord. I'm here because my grace became infected. The spell to purify it went wrong, and now I'm in a coma."

"Shut up. No you're not."

"Yes, I am. The doctor made it very clear, I'm in a coma." Ellie laughed.

"No, I mean there's no way you're an angel."

"Why not?"

"Angels don't go comatose!"

"I thought that a week ago. But I'm not concerned about myself right now. I'm more worried about Dean. He blames himself for what happened. He feels so hopeless. His brother has been trying his hardest to help him, but I'm afraid it's too late." Ellie grabbed his hand.

"It's never too late." Cas shed a single tear. She wiped it away with her thumb. She wrapped her arms around him, and he hugged her back. He cried into her shoulder, all of his pain finally showing. Cas was Dean's angel. And he was so very lost. He had been for a long time.