Chapter 8

Jinyoung arranged the files into the categories, for the list of the things needed in the company this month. There were totally five administrators, including him, and they had got one room for themselves.

It was just a little before the lunch time when his father came to their room, and all the administrators got off their seats to greet the CEO.

"Jinyoung, can you spare me moment?"

Jinyoung nodded; after saving the files, he went to the entrance where his father was.

"Yes, dad?"

"I want to introduce you to our second largest shareholder. He is also my friend."

His father led him to the CEO room, and there a man of his father's age, with a nice suit, was apparently waiting for them, seated on the sofa.

"Seok, this is my son, Park Jinyoung." The man walked to them and shook his hand with Jinyoung's. "Jinyoung, here is my friend and also a shareholder, Kim Jongseok."

"Nice to meet you, uncle."

"A pleasure to meet you, too. Your father's always talked about you. But only now I could meet you, personally."

"It's already lunch time. So we might as well go out to eat something. You can make time, Seok?"

"Of course, but wait, my daughter is actually waiting in the waiting room. I'll call her."

After a short call had been made, they directed to the reception on the ground floor.

"There, Seoyeon." Jinyoung followed his father's eyes and found a girl, vivaciously waving at them. His father seemed to know her.

"That's Seok's daughter, Seoyeon. She's one or two years younger than you."

After another introduction for Jinyoung and Seoyeon, they headed for the restaurant opposite to the company.

The two friends walked ahead and Seoyeon remained behind with Jinyoung.

"So, you're working at the company? Can I call you Jinyoung oppa?"

"Of course. Yes, I'm working."

She looked up at him with the admired eyes.

"That's great. I graduated two years ago. But haven't started working yet. I'm still not tired of my free time."

"You're still young. It may not be a problem."

"I think so too. My dad is okay with it. But you know my mom is always nagging me so and so."

Jinyoung let out a chuckle at her words. When they entered the restaurant, she clinged to his arm.

"I think I already like you now," she said, looking at him.

Jinyoung widened his eyes and she chuckled.

"I mean as my older brother. I'm the only child in my family and have always wanted a brother or sister."

"That's a relief then. You're also like my sister I never had."

Seoyeon giggled, pleased with his words.

That was becoming like a routine, Jinyoung driving to Mark's company after work, every evening. It had been now about one week. Most of the time, they would just talk for some minutes, before separating ways.

When Mark came out at the usual time, Jinyoung got out of the car and waved at Mark, who walked to him instantly.

"Mark, evening." Jinyoung flashed a smile at Mark, who was now in front of him. "Shall we have dinner somewhere? You haven't prepared anytime at home, right?"

If Jinyoung was not mistaken, Mark looked strange. Like he was drained or had found something he disapproved.

"To what extent are you going on like this?" Mark asked, looking into Jinyoung's puzzled eyes.

"Like what?" asked Jinyoung, dumbfounded.

"Look, Jinyoung, I'm no more a patient for you to worry about. I'm no more in the weak state. If you know what I mean."

What was Mark referring to?

"I don't know what you mean," muttered Jinyoung, a little hurt by Mark's cold eyes.

"You want me to say it out loud? Well, if you want. First of all, why do you always bother to come here every single day? Am I still a patient in your eyes?"

Jinyoung shook his head frantically. Was Mark angry with him?

"It's not like that, Mark. I know you have already recovered. It's just...," Jinyoung tried to find the right words. It was mostly because he wanted to see Mark. But he could not just say like that.

"Just what?"

"I just don't want you to feel lonely."

"Thanks then. But it's all unnecessary. I'm not a kind of man who always seeks company."

Jinyoung shifted his eyes to the ground. It was the same feeling when he had been rejected once.

"You know, Jinyoung, I also want some alone time. Especially, after work, I want to rest without talking to anyone." Mark exhaled a long breath. "Look at me."

Jinyoung slowly landed his eyes on Mark again. Mark was cold and distant; and a sort of irritation was hanging in his eyes.

"I hate to say this. But, Jinyoung, if you are...if you are doing all of this - making these efforts, to make me fall for you, or to make me feel obliged to accept you, I'd suggest you stop all of this."

Jinyoung's eyes turned to incredulousness and then pain.

"I know you don't love me, Mark. And you'll never, I know. But can't I be concerned about you as a friend? I told you it was because I did not want you to feel lonely and I thought you were."

"I aren't, Jinyoung. And even if you're here, it's not like everything is solved in my life. So stop coming."

Jinyoung wanted to hate this man. It always led to his own suffering whenever it came to something concerned with Mark. Jinyoung felt no more tears were left in him.

He squared his shoulders and looked at Mark in the eyes.

"I didn't know that you were that much bothered by me."

"Jinyoung, I don't mean exactly like that. But still-"

"I understand." A forced smile ran across Jinyoung's lips for a moment. "I'm glad that you are open to me about how you feel. If that's all, I'll get going now," Jinyoung pursed to emphasise his following words, "And don't worry, I'll stop doing all the things you have just mentioned."

Jinyoung turned around, without waiting for any response nor a final look at Mark. He seated inside the car and drove off.

Wasn't it much better? Jinyoung asked himself. It just called a halt to his love for Mark and there would be no more trouble for him to linger his head on the thoughts of whether there were still hopes for him to be loved back.

And yet his agonised heart couldn't follow his logical and reasonable thoughts. Mark was right, he thought, he had been only making all these efforts, to grow his hopes of being loved back. And that was the time he should stop.