Chapter | Fifteen

"Shouldn't you be at school?"

Parker's hand tightened slightly around my own. "But this is such a better alternative," Parker responded in a drawl.

I laughed. "Good answer."

We still strode, hand in hand, down the beautiful stretch of beach in the dim afternoon sun. The sand had turned golden in the descending sunset, the time approaching near six o'clock now. But neither of us had cared.

"Hey, wait a minute." Parker pulled me to a halt to face me, boring his eyes into mine seriously. "I- don't take this the wrong way but . . ." he struggled. "I don't think you should hang out with my sister anymore."

I scowled at his words. "Why?" I said more vehemently than I intended.

"Because," Parker rushed on. "Tasha's a bad influence on everyone she surrounds herself with. She's . . . struggling. I just don't want her to drag you down with her, okay? Just . . . please."

I frowned at him. "Park-"

"Please, Bailey. I wouldn't ask this of you if it wasn't really important. Please. You have enough to deal with without her influence."

I sighed. "If it means so much to you, I won't hang out with her."

He smiled softly at me. I hadn't realised that I hardly knew anything about Parkers family. From the downhearted expression on his face, I didn't push the subject. Instead, I leap onto his back. Parker chuckled.

"Wow, you weigh nothing, Bailey," he said lightly.

I ripped a strand out of his hair.

"Ow! What was that for," he chortled.

I shrugged, realised he couldn't see me and said, "Cause I can."

"Oh, yeah?" A mischievous note rose in his voice.

Oh no. No, no, no!

Parker tipped forwards, head touching his knees, and I flipped along with him. I screeched as I flew forwards with his body, gripping tightly and almost being dislodged in the process. Parker straightened and chuckled. I shook my head, but a smile creeped up my lips.

"You're an idiot," I laughed.

"I know."

We began our way backdown the beach to where my family were gathered on the dunes, Ivy buried in sandcastles.

I hoped off his back, very ungracefully might I add, and said, "I don't think you should meet my brother, today." I winced at just imagining the encounter.

"Which one?"

I shook my head. "Both, actually. It's been a stressful last couple of weeks and . . . I just don't want anything to go wrong," I said gravely.

"Hey." Parker lifted my chin. "Nothing would go wrong, okay? I can handle myself, but if you don't want me to meet them today, then I won't."

I smiled.

"Let me just give you a parting gift and then I'll leave." Parker supressed a grin.

I stared at him. A parting gift?

Parker gradually lent down, his eyes on my lips, teasing me. He swivelled his head and his mouth brushed my ear.

And then he licked it.

"Ewe!"

Parker retreated, grinning like he'd conquered the world. "I'll see you tomorrow," he called over his shoulder, then he was gone.

I walked over to my family, all of whom were staring at me. All except Ivy, who was preoccupied trying to get her castles to not collapse.

"What?" I asked.

Maya just approached me and smiled broadly, like she already knew. I couldn't help the smile I gave in return.

I didn't think about Emmett once that day. I didn't see him once, either. Too bad it never lasted.