Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

The sun had well and truly set as Alfyn made his way from the orphanage and toward the inn, of which seemed to be located on the other side of town. Thankfully his salve appeared to have done the trick in settling the kids, lowering the fever enough for them to find comfort in sleeping. He had actually spent more time speaking with Henry and Beatrice in order to explain to them what he had done and what they needed to do should one of the kids' fevers suddenly spike in the night.

Henry was actually quite ecstatic with his preparation and they ended up chatting aimlessly about being apothecaries, and just healing in general. Pretty interesting guy. Certainly, a dedicated apothecary. It was good to see. And Beatrice was very encouraging and supportive.

Their constant praise and compliments were a bit embarrassing though!

Thankfully he had sent Primrose and Ophilia to the inn to rest earlier, so they didn't have to overhear. He was fairly certain that the praise would have them uncomfortable as well.

"Phew, I am beat," Alfyn unintentionally murmured aloud as he idly wiped his forehead with the back of his hand. Despite how nicely a spot of mead would be at the moment, he instead decided to head straight for the inn. He wasn't sure what time it was, but was fairly certain that someone would be hunting for him soon. And he didn't feel like being carried over someone's shoulder tonight.

Alfyn was suddenly pulled from his thoughts by the surprising sound of someone singing. Not very well, but they were definitely singing. And if he was correct, they were singing a drinking song.

He glanced down a small alley between two houses to witness a man shuffling along, staggering on every second or third step. He appeared to be the one singing.

He was also very obviously drunk. And probably been that were for a few hours.

Alfyn couldn't help but laugh to himself. "Well now, looks like someone started the evening celebrations early. Been celebrating for a few solid hours, huh?"

The drunkard stopped dead in his tracks and seemed to freeze as he tried to pinpoint his location. or maybe figuring out whether he had actually heard something or not. Soon enough, he turned to look in Alfyn's direction, squinted at him, before a drunken smile spread across his face. And he released a loud drunken laugh.

"Hahahaha, youse got that right," the man uttered through a few drunken hiccups and staggered over to him. "Youse be celebrating too if youse were close to finding the legendary Flower of Life."

Flower of Life? Alfyn was honestly surprised to hear some drunkard speak of a flower that apothecaries the realm over dream of finding. If it existed at all, mind. "Oh?"

Of course, before Alfyn could politely inquire about the man's drunken ramblings, the man struck his foot on a piece of stone that jutted out from the road. Alfyn instinctively reacted by reacting out to catch him, successfully saving the guy from practically swan diving into the ground face first.

"Easy, now. You've certainly had your fill," Alfyn chuckled as the guy slumped against him. He decided that he couldn't let the man continue to wander on his own in such a state. So, he grabbed his arm and flung it over his shoulders. "Why don't ol' Alfyn help you back to the inn?"

Mr Drunkard was thankfully a rowdy, jolly drink. He laughed loudly and patted Alfyn on the chest with his hand. "Youse a good kid. Hey, you wanna hear about the Flower of Life? Can tell ya all about it."

Gripping the guy's wrist tightly so he wouldn't slip, Alfyn decided to entertain the guy by letting him prattle on about whatever. "Alrighty. Here we go. Tell me all about it."