Chapter 7

Chapter 7:

Alfyn's head ached as he squeezed his eyes shut. Dazed and disoriented, he briefly wondered how and when he fell asleep. But with the way his head throbbed with pain and discomfort, all he could focus on was the necessity to open his eyes.

Slowly, his eyes fluttered open.

His head was leaned forward, his chin resting against his chest. Though it pained him to do so, he lifted his head and blearily looked around. He barely registered the smell of dust and fresh herbs. His vision was still on the blurry side so he tried to gather the strength needed to raise a hand and rub his eyes.

Only...his hands were already raised.

His brow furrowing, he tilted his head back to look up at the ceiling. But his gaze collided with the sight of his wrists. They were pinned together and above his head. His left wrist crossed over his right. Slowly, he began to realise that he was sat on the ground, his legs haphazardly splayed out in front of him, and his back resting against a tall support column made of marble. A thick, coarse rope was wound tightly around the column, and to that were his wrists tied together.

"Hnn...What...?" he murmured, dumbfounded.

Any tiredness Alfyn felt immediately disappeared. His eyes widened and he began to tug frantically at his wrists. He continued to twist and tug against the bindings as he turned his attention to studying his surroundings.

He was inside a medium sized room. A couple of support columns amongst piles of books and old furniture. A large wooden table sat in the centre of the room. On it were beakers and glass containers. Candles, along with numerous pestle and mortars. An apothecary's dream.

But what really caught his attention was the large, beautiful flower in a ceramic vase located near the window. A large flower that was of purple and blue. The Aeracura Blossom. The flower of life.

W-what was going on?

"Ah, you're awake."

Alfyn immediately snapped toward the direction of the familiar voice. A breath hitched in his throat as he watched Henry nonchalantly stroll into the room. He was completely unconcerned by the fact that Alfyn had his arms pinned above his head.

Visions of what had occurred flashed through Alfyn's mind. The Chamber of Healing. The Flower of Life. The excitement at the possibility that the legendary flower was true. But a voice interrupting that thought. A careless laugh and the sound of breaking glass. The smell of sleepweed, followed by...

Egads...

"You...?" Alfyn murmured in disbelief as Henry casually strolled toward him. "It was you. You...attacked us?"

With his hands folded behind his back, Henry shrugged carelessly. "If you wish to see it that way."

Alfyn stared at him, dumbfounded. What other way could he possibly see it?

"Where are the others?" Alfyn instead demanded, idly tugging at his bound wrists. "What have you done with them?"

Once more, Henry shrugged infuriatingly nonchalantly. "Probably still searching for a way out of that ancient chamber. And the other half? Who knows." He waved a hand dismissively as he turned his back to Alfyn and walked over to his work table. "Somewhere in the village. My darling wife is able to pacify them. She's such a people's person, after all."

So, Beatrice was also involved in all of this?

Gods, he hoped that Therion, Cyrus, and Olberic were ok...

At least Primrose, Ophilia, Tressa, and H'annit were safe. At least, for now. That he was aware of...

He was still finding it difficult to believe that Henry had caught them off guard so easily. The use of sleepweed as sleeping gas was ingenious, the brew potent to knock them all out instantaneously. But he was an apothecary, after all. He knew when to strike, also. Waiting for them to be distracted by the Flower of Life before announcing his presence. And then hurling a potent mixture of the sleepweed.