Chapter Nine: Chicken Noodle Soup

Cheyenne wore Williams high school ring on a gold chain around her neck because it was too big for her finger. It was always tucked under her sweater to avoid questions. She had kept it a secret from her mother, as Cheyenne was sure she would not be happy about William giving her a ring of any kind. While she loved having his ring, she knew in the back of her mind that all hell would break loose if Sarah or William's parents found out she had it.

It was late morning the day before Christmas Eve and Cheyenne was in the kitchen making sugar cookies and chicken noodle soup while her mother was at work. Her apron was splattered with flour from when she wiped her hands, and the kitchen counter showed evidence of just how many hours Cheyenne had been making food. She was enjoying herself in the kitchen, as the scent of cookies filled the whole first floor, and the sound of heavy rain tapped the windows. The combination of cookies baking and rain hitting the window just made Cheyenne extremely happy.

She just took bell-shaped cookies out, put the star-shaped cookies onto the cooking sheet, and was ready to put them into the oven when the doorbell rang. Cheyenne put the cookies down and hurried to open the door half expecting her mom to have gotten off early, but was unable to find the key in her purse. Standing on the front porch in a hooded sweater was not Sarah, but William. Cheyenne flung her arms around his wet shoulders and invited him inside.

"It smells really good in here," said William as he stepped into the kitchen.

"I'm baking cookies," said Cheyenne. "Do you want one?"

"Sure," said William taking a decorated holly-shaped cookie from a plate. He took a bite and smiled at Cheyenne. "This is good! I'm serious! I think you might bake better than my mother and that's saying something. Can I have another one?"

"Thank you," Cheyenne smiled. She put the cookies she set down in the oven and set the timer. "Help yourself. There's plenty. Not bad for my first time baking?"

"Really?" asked William, looking from her to the cookies.

"No," Cheyenne said grinning. "I've been baking for three years. I cook too."

"That's wonderful!" said William taking another bite of the cookie. "Is your mom working right now?"

"Yeah, but she's going to be home in less than an hour. Her work is giving everyone a half-day today and tomorrow and Christmas Day off."

"Cool. I have someone to fix your front porch beam, by the way," said William.

Cheyenne looked at him with a quizzical expression. "Who?"

"My dad and I," said William. "I told him about the problem and he said from what I described, it won't make it through another huge storm. He said we can fix it right after Christmas."

"That's wonderful!" cried Cheyenne. "How much?"

"Nothing," said William.

"But, materials, labor costs - "

"I'm not charging you," said William firmly. "Besides, we've already got all the tools, and I know we've got wood in the barn. It's not going to cost us anything but time, and maybe a few of these cookies."

"But -"

"I'm not charging my future wife to fix her house," said William as if that was the end of that conversation. 

Cheyenne giggled at the thought of being William's wife. It made her happy.

"Did you tell your dad that?" inquired Cheyenne.

"Well, no. I told him that I wanted to do it because I love you and I don't want you to get hurt if the roof collapsed. So I didn't lie to my dad. We're not officially engaged anyway."