Chapter Twenty: Bouquet Of Sunflowers

It was a hot day in the middle of September and Cheyenne was surrounded by her best friends and her mother at William's house. They were all in the master bedroom talking, laughing, and reminiscing. They were enjoying lemonade and small sandwiches while talking about the perfect conditions for today. Cheyenne was sitting in a chair getting pampered. Her mother was doing her makeup, her friend Leila was doing her nails, and her friend Kayla was behind her doing her hair. Cheyenne was thinking about the last few years that led up to today, and how all of her hard work paid off.

With the exception of the incident at the end of her freshman year of high school that left her dead for forty minutes and unable to have children, the last few years were excellent. She graduated from high school at the top of the class, while doing night classes twice a week at the local community college. She and William were both accepted into UC Davis at the same time where Cheyenne majored in Early Child Development and Psychology and minored in English. She and William both graduated with honors last weekend but declined a graduation party because of the wedding. William was going to start his new job as the new owner at his parents' shop so they could retire, while Cheyenne started her first day as an official 1st-grade teacher in August. Things were looking up for them.

"Okay, Cheyenne," said Sarah, glowing with pride. "It's time to get into your dress."

Cheyenne stood and undid her white silk robe. The scars on her lower abdomen were still clearly visible. As she looked in the mirror, she shuddered but quickly regained her composure. She stepped into her gown, pulled it up, and adjusted it so it was perfect. She looked beautiful in an elegant strapless A-line gown adorned with lace and a cream ribbon around her waist. Her long wavy hair was pinned to one side, with a crown of daisies. Her makeup was natural with just some brown eyeliner that was smoked out, a coat of black mascara, some pale pink blush, and some clear gloss.

Poking out from her dress was her something old. Her pair of boots she wore the day she met William, and the day he told her he loved her. Her something new was a gold locket necklace from her mother. She borrowed a bracelet from William's sister and had a pale blue garter under her gown.

"Cheyenne, you look beautiful!" said Sarah with tears in her eyes.

"Thank you, Mom," said Cheyenne. "Marissa," she added turning to her Maid of Honor, "could you please bring this to William?" Cheyenne handed Marissa a folded piece of paper.

"Sure," Marrisa replied with a happy little bounce and a huge smile.

Cheyenne was happy Marrisa was able to make it to her wedding. They grew up next door to each other until Cheyenne moved. They kept in contact through phone calls and letters, every week for the last eight years. She and her parents had even made the trip down to visit Cheyenne while she was in the hospital.

"How does the barn look?" Cheyenne asked her friend Chelsea.

"Beautiful," she replied. "Everyone stayed late last night getting it perfect for you and William."

"I wasn't looking for perfection," said Cheyenne, feeling astonished but very grateful.

"We know," said Sarah. "But really, you two are like the perfect love story! You both risked your lives for each other at such a young age, and now, eight years later, you're finally getting married!"

Marrisa came back into the room. "He read it and cried like a baby," she announced. "I've never seen a man that tough-looking cry from a letter." Cheyenne smiled.

"He is tough. The only reason my story didn't get attention is because William scared off all of the reporters. It's all wasted now because he's got a soft spot for me," said Cheyenne. The women giggled.