Chapter Nineteen: Gunpowder and Lead

Cheyenne was released from the hospital the day before William's graduation, meaning she missed the last three weeks of school, but William had somehow pulled a few strings and Cheyenne was excused from the work without it affecting her grades. Doctors told her that she was on strict bed rest once they released her, except to use the bathroom and shower, for the next six weeks. If she absolutely had to go anywhere, she was to be in a wheelchair. Cheyenne wasn't thrilled, but at least she could watch William graduate. It was a welcomed celebration after the last few weeks.

Cheyenne, who was already prone to having nightmares, was forced to relieve the attack every night after she fell asleep. She would wake up in a cold sweat crying out for help. Sarah was always right there to comfort her and soothe her back to sleep. Sarah would crawl into the hospital bed, wrap Cheyenne in her arms and rock her slowly back and forth until she fell asleep again. Cheyenne never told her, but she felt every tear that fell from her eyes as she took care of her frightened daughter.

William was having trouble too. He would tense up around sudden, loud noises and if anyone yelled for him, his family noticed that his fists would clench momentarily until he remembered that he was home and Cheyenne was safe in the hospital. He also had nightmares about not being able to get to her in time even though she was screaming for him, and then he would see Cheyenne bleeding out and dying in her bed. He would wake up with a loud shout, but after a little while, he was able to go back to sleep. Jeremy and Jason had told Mrs. Dunn that William was a little tense and distant at school too. His mind was always on Cheyenne.

When Cheyenne came home from the hospital she was surprised to see that the front window had already been replaced. Sarah said that Eddie, his brother in law and a few of their friends had come by and taken care of it all. When Sarah and Cheyenne entered the house, they found William and his parents were waiting in the kitchen with a full Mexican dinner already prepared. Cheyenne asked Sarah how they got in because the door was locked when they got home.

"I decided after what happened, that William should have a key," said Sarah.

William came up to Cheyenne with a bouquet of red carnations. She took them with a tearful smile and looked up at William. He was wearing an expression of happiness when he looked at her, but his features said that he had been sleeping as poorly as Cheyenne.

"I love you, William."

William smiled and bent down to pick up Cheyenne out of the chair. He held her tightly to him as if to tell her that he was never letting her go. Neither of them cared that their parents were watching with small smiles. All they cared about was the sound of the others' heartbeat. Cheyenne buried her face in his shoulder and took in the way he smelled, the way he was holding her, and the way his body was shaking slightly from his relief to have Cheyenne home.

The dinner was wonderful. It was much better than the hospital food Cheyenne had gotten used to eating. She ate three plates until she felt herself get sleepy. She started falling asleep at the table, so William picked her up, carried her to the couch, and wrapped her in the throw blankets. When she fell asleep, William was suddenly pulled into a hug. Sarah was weeping softly onto his shoulder.

"Thank you for saving my baby's life," said Sarah.

William hugged her back and followed her back to the kitchen. William sat down to a cup of tea and talked with Sarah about his plans for the summer. He had saved up all year with Jeremy and Jason for a road trip to Nashville Tennessee. He wanted to know if he could take Cheyenne. He assured her that he would pay for everything, and Cheyenne would have her own room. At this Sarah and his parents burst out laughing.

"Am I missing something?" asked William.

"I know all about you and Cheyenne," said Sarah. "I was sent home, that night we were supposed to celebrate your birthday. It was false labor, and Julie came back to finish examining the results of our energy project. I came home early and I heard what was happening in her room."