Chapter 15

Danny ran out onto the playground as DJ tried to sneak across the yard to the gate.

"Freeze!" DJ went pale, and turned to face her father, who already looked very disappointed in here, with his arms crossed and a frown across his face. "What is this? I don't want to jump to conclusions, but it appears what we have here is my daughter ditching school, throwing away her future, and basically becoming a juvenile delinquent." DJ nodded, feeling completely embarrassed she got caught.

"In a nutshell yes." Danny shook his head., wanting to smile, but knowing he had to discipline her, and get her back to class. 

"Do you mind if I asked you a question before you go and knock off a 7-11? Why are you dropping out of school?" She sighed, crossing her arms and looking at her feet. That's when Danny knew he couldn't discipline her.

"Because they put me in the smart class." Danny smiled this time, completely washed over with pride.

"The advanced class, DJ, that's wonderful!" DJ gave him a look, and he knew at once that he had made a mistake.

"Dad, it's Geekville USA." She told him, completely embarrassed by this. "These kids, the first day of school, they brought homework. And get this, I'm the only blonde. Worst of all, they split me and Kimmy up." Danny felt terrible for his daughter, though proud of her accomplishment. But he wouldn't show that he wasn't conscious of her feelings.

"Oh. I know you're disappointed." But DJ knew his feelings about Kimmy, and knew he wasn't going to do anything about the two of them not being in the same class together.

"Dad you don't understand." She fussed. "Kimmy and I have always been in the same class. Now I'm in a room full of eggheads. They're worse then eggheads, they're omletteheads." She plunked down and sat on the edge of the slide, Danny coming over and sitting beside her, trying to find some way to comfort her.

"DJ, it's the omletteheads that rule the world." She gave him a look, and Danny tried another tactic. "You really should give this a chance. You know why?"

"Why?" She asked. She couldn't think of anyway she should give this a chance.

"Because if you don't try new things, you'll never know what you're missing out on." And of course, that was when Stephanie came out of the building again and waved to her class through the window.

"Bye!" She began to head down the sidewalk, waving at her father and sister. "Bye Dad." And that was also when Jesse and Joey hurried out, looking harried. Joey was still holding Michelle.

"Danny, we gotta go!" Danny stood up, looking overwhelmed.

"Hold it! Where do you think you're going?" He stopped Stephanie, then looked to Jesse and Joey. "What's going on?"

"I'm going home." Stephanie claimed.

"We gotta go up to the high school." Jesse explained. "Overheard the principal on the phone looking for Steph. Apparently, he runs both schools, and he's heading up to the high school to see Jane." Danny's eyes went wide.

"Janie's in the principal's office?" He threw up his hands, looking exasperated. "Oh, this day just keeps on getting better and better!"