Red

"You look beautiful in red."

My paramour would always coo these wonderful words in my ear before we made love. Every night we spent together was full of rapture and bliss.

I loved how he would lap up the curves and crevices of my body with his eager fingers. His aroma would lift my weary soul and make me feel safe as a young child.

As we lay the night away, we both heard thunderous knocks on the door. Although we were stricken with fear, my beloved got up and opened the door.

At the door stood my enraged husband in a heavy trench coat.

Before my beloved could react, a gunshot rang and he crumpled to the floor. I screamed in terror and tried to talk my husband down. He gave me a cold hard stare, grunted, and then slowly lowered his gun. I sighed and sobbed in gratitude and relief.

But then he took off his trench coat and revealed a machete at his hip. He held it up high as I shrieked in absolute terror.

His face was shrouded in shadows, revealing only the whites of his eyes and a jagged grin. He swung down on my helpless body with a maddening fervor. My body erupted with blood and unyielding pain.

I barely had time to register the full impact of the assault before my vision dimmed. My husband chuckled and whispered in my ear, "You look beautiful in red."