Chapter Fourteen

When Loki returns, he enters first. Followed by a doctor, the yellow-eyed king—and his two sons. My heavy eyes pass over Olen suspiciously as he strides into the room, closing the door behind him.

"Hello Lara," the doctor greets me, striding to my left with one wrist tucked under the other. "How are you feeling?"

I look up at her with a nod. "Fine, I think... Tired, a little nauseated."

"That's normal—you came within an inch of your life, but you'll be alright. Definitely do need to get some rest though," she says, scanning the room demonstrably with her eyes.

The king gestures to her, stepping up next to her. "We won't be long," he says, looking back down at me. "We just wanted to see how your recovery is coming along."

"As good as it can get, I suppose."

"And," he says, tilting his chin downward. "Did you succeed, in your quest?"

I blink heavily, lowering my eyes down to my hand. "Yes," I say, uncovering it—revealing the radiant, white gem resting in my palm. "Yes, we did."

He sighs heavily, glancing at his sons. I look up at them both—Olen continues staring blankly at the stone, while Yerul exchanges a subtle, contented glance with his father.

"So it's practically over, then—the war?" Yerul asks.

"We have what we need to end it now," the king nods, grinning warmly at me.

With a quiet knock at the door, Olen turns and opens it, allowing a tall, slender woman to pass through—clad in beautiful, flowing robes and jewels. His lips tighten as she peers at him disapprovingly, before trailing her eyes over to me. A grin spreads across her face as she passes by the two of them, and approaches the right side of my bed.

"My dear," she says, reaching down to take my empty hand. "My name is Valaryn —I'm so happy to have finally met you."

"Nice to meet you too," I nod wearily.

"You've met my sons," she turns her head in their direction momentarily before looking back. "And my husband. I'm sorry our acquaintance has taken this long."

"Not a problem," I nod again.

"I understand you to be our savior," she smiles, glancing at the stone. "You'll have my gratitude eternally. Anything you need, you need only ask for it."

"Help is all I need," I solemnly, looking up at the king. "There's still work to do, isn't there?"

"Yes," he says, shaking his head with a raised brow. "But now is not the time to discuss that. We should take a moment to celebrate this victory."

I lower my eyes, as heaviness settles into my chest. I don't need a damn celebration, I just need to go home.

"So we should," she says, looking up at her husband. "A proper celebration is due, I think. How long must she stay in the hospital?" Valaryn asks, addressing the doctor now.

The doctor turns, scanning the machines slowly, shaking her head. "A week, perhaps. Her injuries were deep, we need to monitor her condition for the time being."

The queen nods. "A week is just enough time," she grins, looking back at me. "Something to look forward to when you leave here, isn't it?"

The warm sincerity in her eyes chips a bit of the tension in my chest, and the corner of my mouth curls slightly as I nod. It's so confusing—how could someone so outwardly kind and gentle raise those two idiots?

Then again, Olen was perfectly charming when I first met him too.

Valaryn exhales sharply. "Well, it's settled then," she smiles, rising from the bed. "We should leave her now, shouldn't we?"