Chapter 7

Whoa Emma! Another chapter! You're on a roll!

*Unedited*

___________________________

        John was always a fan of games. Though more often then not, those games would result in lot of pain for those who participated. For John I was a piece in his game. Only thing was, in the grand scheme, John was just a pawn in the real game. He controlled them all, John included. He was the king and they were just pieces in his twisted game. He didn't care for them, he was cold-hearted and didn't care who was hurt in this game of chess. He was the one who made my life miserable and in three weeks time he would be out of his cage. Free to move his pawns about the board. I won't win this game. I know I won't because he is already so close to checkmate. 

****

        It's been two weeks since the call and I've become slightly paranoid. At any minute John could take me away. Pull me from my dream land and into the the harsh reality of my situation. I was still working on my project with Aiden on Tuesdays. He hasn't brought up the subject of the phone call luckily. 

        "Avery? You there?" Darren questioned. I blinked. 

        "Yea, yea. I'm here, I just have a lot on my mind, you know." I muttered. He nodded. The cafeteria was loud as usual. 

        "So, I was wondering if you'd like to go to the party this Friday?" Darren questioned, cheeks becoming slightly red. Sage gasped next to me and nudged me. I felt my own cheeks heat up. "You know, as friends." He added quietly, cheeks still on fire. I've never been to an actually high school party. 

        "I-...umm...I don't know. Parties aren't really my scene." I muttered truthfully. Darren's chocolate brown eyes shimmered with disappointment. Guilt gnawed at my stomach. "But I guess, if you want." I mumbled. Darren perked up immediately. 

        "Awesome!" He cheered. Might as well go, I should experience a high school party. 

        "Party!" Leo cheered. I giggled as he fist pumped the air. "I love parties!" He exclaimed. The girls shared looks and I glanced at them confused. 

        "We are definitely getting ready together." Brandi informed. The two other girls nodded in agreement and looked at me expectantly. 

        "Sure. I've...umm...I've never been to a party before though." I muttered, scratching the back of my neck sheepishly. They stared at me, mouths hanging open. 

        "How is that even possible?" Evan asked. "I've been to at least two parties and I'm honestly a loser." He joked. I shot gentle smile his way. Evan was a nerd but that was in no way a bad thing. He was honestly an amazing person. He was like a little brother. 

        "You are not a loser. You are brillant." I stated. "I was never really into parties. To many people in a small space, I guess. Plus, I didn't have very any friends at my last school." I informed them. 'No friends at all, actually.' I thought. 

        "Oh." Emily muttered. "You have at least been invited to a party?" I shook my head 'no' and her mouth fell open, my cheeks turning red. "Girlfriend, we are going to give you one hell of a night! So, whose house are we getting ready at?" She questioned. 

        "Well, you guys have never been to my place, so how about my house?" I offered, nervously. The girls smiled and agreed. This Friday was my first party. 

****

        The days leading up to the party went agonizingly slow. By the time the girls rang the doorbell, I was jittery with nerves.